Website speed

Hello, I bought Cloudflare Pro Membership for website speed. I configured all settings but I have this issue. Website load time from Europe 2.5 second, from USA 5.5 second, from Asia 10 second.
Why this happened? Cloudflare have 150+ data center. This meaning my full page load time will be approximately same from all of countries. am i right?

What is the url of the web page?
I see it?

It’s mostly wordpress that is causing the lag time. Cloudflare does not cache html, so wordpress is still having to take the effort to generate the html on each page load.
Try a wordpress caching plugin like Comet Cache. They usually speed up wordpress 10x.

1 Like

https://tedibox.com

I prefer wp fastestcache

I prefer
ShortPixel Plugin but, not enable webp (complicated)
404 To Homepage
Proxy & VPN Blocker
Cloudflare

CF:
DNS: add LOC record
Speed: enable all Auto Minify
Firewall: high

HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) all on
Minimum TLS Version 1.2
Opportunistic Encryption on
Onion Routing on
TLS 1.3 enable 0RTT very speed google chrome
Automatic HTTPS Rewrites on

Network on
HTTP/2, IPv6, WebSockets, IP Geolocation

Scrape Shield on
Email Address Obfuscation, Server-side Excludes

sometimes, 1-2 tests per month are worth doing
But your web site very big:)
front page html only 47Kb (ok)
full page 4.5MB very Big

too much use *.png and gif
png big and transparent, gif animated
it is better to use jpg instead

error Web site missing element
https://tedibox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/backgroundthingy-1000x400.jpg

DNS

Speed or shots test

1 Like

My question is different.

• The globally distributed nature of a CDN means reduce distance between users and website resources. Instead of having to connect to wherever a website’s [origin server] may live, a CDN lets users connect to a geographically closer [data center]. Less travel time means faster service.

Why my website load time from Europe 2.5 second BUT from Asia 10 second. It must be approximately same.

there is a lot of reasons why it may happen, nobody can guess without checking… you need someone with a this kind of knowledge to take a look at it

Asia is a sore spot for performance. I would not bother considering Asia, unless you do in fact market in that area of the globe.

Page speed is relative to the testing site location and target site location geographically. In this case testing site location = your visitor’s geographic location. So variance will happen as your own site might be closer to the testing site location/visitors. Cloudflare CDN while diverse in 153 data centers and 190 peering locations, will still be subject to the geographic distance between the testing site location and the site origin server geographic location. There’s only so much you can do with current speed of light fibre connectivity. Cloudflare will generally still improve the speed relatively with their CDN and you’ll notice the difference/benefits the further away the visitor is from your origin location. So Asia might have 10+ seconds with Cloudflare CDN but without Cloudflare it could of been 20+ seconds

What are you using to test page load speed for those reported timings ? If you’re using Google Analytics page speed timings these are real visitor’s based timings and subject to other factors like ISP connection speed 2G vs 3G vs 4G vs Cable/Fibre etc and also subject to device used i.e. slow hardware on a low end mobile phone versus fast hardware on latest flagship highend mobile will show differences in page speed rendering and thus page load times. Usually, from my experience Asia and South Africa have slower page load speeds reported in Google Analytics due to visitors having slower ISP connections and using slower low end mobile devices.

Example from my Google Analytic stats connected to Google Data Studio custom reports I created

Average Desktop/Mobile page speed broken down by my top visitor locations

Broken down by continent for average document loaded time and page load times

datastudio-pagespeed-100918-03a

datastudio-pagespeed-100918-03b

I’d check out webpagetest.org as they have alot of geographic test locations and allow you to test real mobile devices and different browser clients and connection speeds. I wrote a guide for my users which maybe useful to you as well https://community.centminmod.com/threads/how-to-use-webpagetest-org-for-page-load-speed-testing.13859/

An example of where origin location is located and its effects on page load speed, take 2 origins one located in New York and one located in Sydney. Both origins are behind Cloudflare CDN Proxy. And you run webpagetest.org from New York and Sydney test sites to these 2 origins. The results will always show webpagetest.org test from Sydney WPT to Sydney origin as faster than to New York origin and webpagetest.org test from New York WPT to New York origin as faster than to Sydney origin server.

For example testing WPT from dulles, dallas, california, london and sydney locations show this Cloudflare forum’s origin server will most likely be in US West Coast and/or that most traffic that populated CF edge caches are in US West Coast :slight_smile:

You are right, but if and only if, Cloudflare already has your content in it’s cache.

So yes, pinging Cloudflare for the same cached asset from any location should yield fairly equal times.

But Alas! Cloudflare doesn’t cache HTML by default, so you are assured already because of this, times will vary wildly. Because each request must reach your backend server BEFORE a HTML page can even be generated and subrequests initiated. For my own site, I always use page rules to cache HTML. For a Wordpress Site, or similar bloated CMS sites, it will be hard to do because of cookies and stuff. Using SPA frameworks like EmberJS, Angular or React makes it trivial.

Secondly, Cloudflare does not guarantee a cache hit even if you have cachable assets. They have an algorithm for this so unless you have frequent repeat requests from all over the world, your site will most likely not trigger this algorithm to kick in. Of course, their are some paid features to mitigate this if you so wish.

By the way, my site is https://campus-discounts.com/ so you can use pingdom or similar to see what I’m talking about.

Regards,

Indeed that is the case, Cloudflare Business Plan has Bypass Cache on Cookie for better HTML caching https://blog.Cloudflare.com/caching-anonymous-page-views/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.