DNS Validation Error (Code: 1004) - changing server IP

I recently changed servers and I’m in the process of moving all my domains. I have two domains served through Cloudflare. I changed DNS records on one domain and it works fine; but on the other domain I could change all records except the first “*” one. When I try to enter the IP, I just get “DNS Validation Error (Code: 1004)” popup. As a result, www.mysite.com uses the new servers, but all subdomains still point to the original one.

The support article Community Tip - Fixing Code 1004: DNS Validation Error says I need to look at additional details, but there aren’t any?

The additional details are things like code 9000, code 9004 that you’ll see with the 1004.

In this case, it sounds like the first item on the list, DNS Validation Error: invalid or missing name (Code: 9000)

* Verify the SRV record you’re adding has a valid name
* The record you are adding cannot be proxied through Cloudflare. Toggle the cloud icon from orange to grey for this to work.

The DNS validation error sounds like you’re entering a Cloudflare IP as opposed to the origin IP.

I don’t understand where the difference comes from. Both domains have the same DNS structure:

1. Type = A, Name = *, Content = ip1:ip1:ip1:ip1, TTL = Auto, Proxy = DNS only
  2. Type = A, Name = mysite.com, Content = ip1:ip1:ip1:ip1, TTL = Auto, Proxy = Proxied
  3. Type = A, Name = www, Content = ip1:ip1:ip1:ip1, TTL = Auto, Proxy = Proxied

I changed ip1:ip1:ip1:ip1 to ip2:ip2:ip2:ip2 for the first domain in all three lines and it worked, the site now fully working off the second server. But for the second domain when I try the exact same thing, it won’t let me change it for the first line, resulting in only the default www subdomain using the new server. Everything about these records look identical so I’m not sure why the difference.

The IP assigned by my hosting provider, only got one for new and one for old server. It’s the same for all entries.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.