Youtube to Cloudflare Stream

Hi
I am looking to move my YouTube channel to Cloudflare Stream (for many reasons) and was wondering (and hoping!) that there is a relatively pain free way to (for example) post a YouTube video URL and it get uploaded to Stream.
Is this possible?
Or will I have to download all my YouTube content to my PC and then upload the content to Cloudflare? (with over 1000 videos this would be a long and painful process so I am keen to avoid it if possible!)
Thanks for any help you can give!

Sorry, Stream needs the source video file.

Ah damn, looks like a nice smooth transition isn’t gonna happen then.
Real shame.
I’ll just trial a few videos in that case and go from there.
Thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like

Agreed with the responses above. Stream doesn’t make it super easy to migrate from YouTube.

Maybe the fastest way could be to get a virtual machine on the cloud to help with the connection speed issue - home connections could be slow for a transfer like this.

I’d suggest using youtube-dl to download the videos and use Stream’s upload-from-url API to upload them to Stream.

1 Like

YouTube re-compresses everything you upload to it, no matter what, throwing away data in the process.

Your videos would benefit from re-uploading to Cloudflare Stream from the original files, rather than versions downloaded from YouTube, if quality is important to you.

With that in mind, I just wanted to also note you don’t need to use a third party service to download your YouTube videos. There’s a download button in YouTube Studio on each of your videos, although if I’m not mistaken, these will only be 720p tops.

1 Like