You're hijacking my wifi sign-in page!

The wifi of my work accommodation has a sign-in page, the address of which begins “1.1.1.1/fs/customwebauth/login.html?switch_url=yadayadayada” and so on.

Every time my browser (Chrome on Android) tries to load this page so I can accept the network conditions and get on wifi, I’m redirected to the front page of this service instead and so I can never get on the wifi with my phone anymore.

What is going on? Kind of annoying.

UYour vendor hijacked a network that was not really intended to be used for private networking. (pseudo-private network) 1/8 was moved from “IANA reserved” to “IANA unallocated” in 2008! It was clear that someone will try to get this network allocated. Vendors shouldn’t use it anymore since has been changed.

APNIC decided to make this network available to the public now. Why not? There are more than enough private adresses available (10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16). About 18 million addresses.

I am sorry to read that you’ve trouble now. But you either have to wait for a firmware update or change the IP on your own. Or configure your network not to route 1.1.1.1 to the public internet.

But usually your network should respond first instead of routing the request to the internet. Commonly such network settings makes (the public) 1.1.1.1 inaccessible instead of your local device.

That’s not entirely surprising. The company’s access page has no security cert and the whole thing appears rather low-rent. I’ll try to contact IT via the front desk.

Thanks!