Www version of website gives ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Cloudflare Domain / Hostinger

I bought a Cloudflare website before I knew I couldn’t use custom nameservers. I thought that what you were paying for when you bought a website, the ability to point the domain where you wanted.

I’ve tried for hours to get Cloudflares DNS to work with Hostinger Hosting. I finally got the main url to work:

But the www.fidiumpa.com version doesn’t work. I created a CNAME, I have tried to turn the Proxy option off and on, but I can’t get it to work. Here are my settings:

I feel totally ripped off. And I don’t understand the logic - I can’t use custom nameservers with my $10 domain so now I’ll upgrade to a $2,400/year business account? Wouldn’t I be more likely to transfer to domain to moniker for $14?

I could see Cloudflare selling domains at cost and then charging to use their DNS servers. That would make sense. But not letting you use custom nameservers is crazy - it isn’t an extra thing like privacy guard, it is WHAT you buy when you buy a domain. It would be like buying web hosting, and not having the ability to change the files on the server. Yeah, we’ll host your website, but it comes with WordPress and you can’t change the files, all you can do is log in to stock WordPress and add posts. If that is the service you are sell, okay, but that isn’t web hosting. The only useful think I can do with my domain without paying $2,400 is take it somewhere else. I thought when I first heard about Cloudflare selling domains at cost, what a great business model - they help developers get started and then you can use their security services and CND and stuff if you like them. Well wasting 3 hours of my time is NOT how you get people to like your company. There should be a warning before you checkout that you must use Cloudflares nameservers.

There is…

Even that doesn’t change the nameservers away from Cloudflare; it allows you to use vanity nameservers that include your domain, but it’s still using Cloudflare’s DNS infrastructure.

A quick search here would have shown that the too many redirect issue is one of the most common and easily fixed, set your SSL/TLS setting to “Full (strict)” here…
https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/ssl-tls

Even if you did change your nameservers, your www site wouldn’t work as your Hostinger hosting SSL certificate only covers fidiumpa.com, not www.fidiumpa.com (or *.fidiumpa.com) so you need to fix that, or redirect www to fidiumpa.com on Cloudflare. You can then proxy the www DNS record.

* Server certificate:
*  subject: CN=fidiumpa.com
*  start date: Apr 21 23:14:35 2024 GMT
*  expire date: Jul 20 23:14:34 2024 GMT
*  subjectAltName does not match www.fidiumpa.com
* SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'www.fidiumpa.com'
* Closing connection 0
curl: (60) SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'www.fidiumpa.com'

I didn’t see it. It’s good it’s there, but its easy to miss. What really irks me is that someone made a whole YouTube video about what registrars to use and completely left out the fact that neither cloudflare or porkbun let you change the name servers. Maybe someone has a use case where they don’t need that feature, but it’s so fundamental I didn’t know it was possible to pay for a domain and not have that feature. I could see if you had to pay to use cloudflares DNS. I guess if your tech savvy and don’t mind using cloudflares DNS then it really doesn’t matter, but I didn’t want to spend 3 hours manually copying over and recreating records that my host makes automatically. And I don’t really get the advantage Cloudflare gets from it either. Like okay, I’m using their DNS servers, is the idea now I’ll need premium support or something? Normally when a company takes away a feature, you can still pay to get that feature, seems weird that you can’t do it at all. I’ve actually had to use third party name servers in the past, because I had a large application and for some reason a small percentage of users had trouble resolving the DNS when I use the DNS it was built into the server. 99% of the time though, it’s just convenient, because if I make a change with my hosting company then I don’t have to go and make a change separately in another place.

By the way, the problem I was having ended up being just a typo in the cname, I typed Fidium.com instead of fidiumpa.com.

Cloudflare doesn’t sell domains to be a registrar. It sells domains at cost as a benefit to customers who use their (even free) services, even if that is just DNS.There’s no benefit in Cloudflare selling domains at cost if you point them elsewhere else, and to use Cloudflare you have to use Cloudflare’s nameservers so traffic passes through Cloudflare. You don’t have to pay Cloudflare for any extra services, but it does help draw you in to see what you can do with it. Many Enterprise users started out as personal free plan users.

Cloudflare is a technical product. It’s also a self-serve product (even for Enterprise plans). The vast majority of domains on Cloudflare are free users. Cloudflare gets to see the threat traffic to those users which helps it build products for Enterprises and other plans.

If it’s not for you, then you are free to move your domain elsewhere (after the ICANN mandated) 60 day lock.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.