Wrong SSL cert for website, causing chain reaction

Instead of automatically using a Cloudflare cert, it seems like our server’s Lets Encrypt SSL certificate was pulled incorrectly, leading to a chained reaction (see SSL Checker) - anyone have any insights on how to fix this?

Looks fine? Cloudflare is not a CA, Let’s Encrypt is one of the CAs which issues certificates for domains on Cloudflare.

2 Likes

The SSL chain is what’s causing trouble. Compare this to another site of mine which has the exact same setup, but has a correctly implemented SSL: SSL Checker

May I ask which exactly?
Using above links, all green checks and both websites working fine.

2 different CAs, Cloudflare uses multiple CAs to issue certificates. There’s not a problem I can see as @fritex mentions, the site loads fine. If you wish to use a different CA you can pay for the ability to select https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/edge-certificates/advanced-certificate-manager/

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks for the info! Is there a specific reason why the exact same setup would lead to two different SSL results for the two websites (on the same server and Cloudflare)?

:person_shrugging: not sure what criteria Cloudflare uses, they may do some type of % based distribution or have price points with their partners they are trying to hit (or stay under). Generally, a cert is a cert. If I’m buying for personal use I always use Digicert because they have been good to me in the past, but with Cloudflare I take whatever I get (and it can/ does change at renewal time on occasion).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.