WP Admin Site Down After Updating Nameservers

I currently have a Wordpress website (via GoDaddy) and I cannot access the WP Admin portion of the page.

When I go to WP-Admin, I receive a browser message that “This page isn’t working. It has redirected you too many times.” Try clearing your cookies. I did try clearing your cookies to no avail.

https://jessbellissimo.com/wp-admin/

I also tried to go to the WP-Admin.php link. On that page, I received an Error 429: Too Many Requests.

https://jessbellissimo.com/wp-login.php

Earlier today, I signed up for CloudFlare to secure a free SSL. I changed over the domain nameservers to Cloudflare. It appeared to work. Within about 30 minutes, my website was redirected to an HTTPS connection.

Once that worked, I downloaded a WP Plug-in to Reset my page. Shortly thereafter, the WP Admin page was unavailable. The original website is currently working, but it’s only showing a fresh “hello world” template (so the reset worked).

I initially contacted GoDaddy’s customer service. The first time, they informed me they would restart my site. Told me to wait 90 minutes.

After 2 hours, still not working. Contacted them again. This representative seemed a bit better informed. They told me “the domain is not pointing to website managed wordpress” and gave me an IP address.

This time they told me to update my DNS A record. It already appeared to match what they wanted me to update, but they told me to delete it and update again. I did so. Still no access.

I tried searching the forums but unable to gain access. Can anyone assist?

A little more info:
I currently have my SSL/TLS set to Flexible.
If I change to Full, I then get Error 525: SSL handshake failure (same with Full-Strict).

It seems like the issue is that I need to gain access back into the WP admin page to adjust the plug-in there, but I am unsure of how to do so. I don’t have familiarity with phpadmin.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

That’s the problem. Sites need to be fully configured for HTTPS before you add them to Cloudflare.

Your best bet would be to go to the Overview page here and click Pause Site on Cloudflare and get SSL installed on your server. Cloudflare offers an Origin CA cert you can use. Once that’s installed, you can unpause Cloudflare and use Full (Strict) SSL.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help.

I have paused the site on the Cloudflare overview, but still cannot get into my WP Admin page to get SSL installed there. Wondering if I just have to wait a bit for this to go into effect.

The errors currently remain the same and change depending on SSL setting.
If SSL is set to Flexible, I get “this page isn’t working.”
If SSL is set to Full, I get the 429 “too many handshakes.”

I played with some of the SSL/HTTPS settings and am now getting a different error:

This site can’t provide a secure connection.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Here are settings:

Site Paused on Cloudflare
SSL/TLS set to Off (not secure)
HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS): Not Enabled
TLS 1.3: On
Automate HTTPS Rewrites: On

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not seeing any type of certificate installed on that server. Did you add the Cloudflare Origin CA cert to cPanel for your domain?

1 Like

I had added the Flexible SSL plug-in but don’t believe I ever completed adding the certificate. Sorry, I am not familiar with cPanel beyond a brief introduction yesterday.

Can anyone point me towards the next step to add the certificate and/or gain access to my WP admin panel? Is there a way to restart fresh?

The current error is “This site cannot provide a secure connections.” ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Shutting this thread down. Starting over. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.