Would I be in violation of community guidelines and/or TOS if I UNKNOWINGLY invite a user under 18?

Ok, so I have a question: If I invite someone to the Cloudflare community (and don’t know that they are under 18) could I get in trouble for inviting them, or will their account be deleted with no action taken against me?

A case would be in a Discord DM or Group DM where someone (or a group of people) ask me to invite them to the Cloudflare community!

Then let’s say they sign up for an account, then I learn they (or that person) are under 18! Would I get in trouble for inviting them or not?

Well, it is true, the privacy policy does refer to the age

Cloudflare’s Websites and Services are not intended for, nor designed to attract, individuals under the age of eighteen. Cloudflare does not knowingly collect personal information from any person under the age of eighteen. To the extent we become aware that we have the personal information of a person under the age of eighteen, we will delete that information.

but it neither explicitly prohibits younger people from signing up. Plus, there is no personal information per se.

Cloudflare is a US company and hence subject to US jurisdiction, so COPPA might apply to a certain extent, but - again - there’s not much personal information per se.

Even though I rarely hear people say I am not an IT professional, I’ll still post the usual disclaimer of not being a lawyer, but especially inviting people should not be an issue. I am sure there are plenty of people younger than 18 around here. Us Gandalfs and Sarumans will be the minority.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.