Worket limit fail open not working

i have the workers for all domains set to fail open after request limit is reached, but i am getting 500 errors instead.

Also i am getting email alerts stating i will get 500 errors, i double checked all domains but its seem to not fail open. Whats the point of fail open for workers?

Email:
You have exceeded the daily Cloudflare Worker limit of 100000 requests.

If you do not take any action, your end users will experience 5XX errors until the limit resets at 2020-01-15 at 00:00:00 UTC.

i have all domain workers set to fail open after limit, but i still get 500 errors and also i am getting emails saying my limit is close/reached and users will get 500 errors.

Whats the point of fail open setting on workers? i thought is was supposed to pass requests without worker processing.

Sample email:
Hi,

You have exceeded the daily Cloudflare Worker limit of 100000 requests.

If you do not take any action, your end users will experience 5XX errors until the limit resets at 2020-01-15 at 00:00:00 UTC
…

In the scenario you are in Workers can’t fail open since they aren’t actually run. They are prevented from running given you are outside the limits. Upgrade to the Unlimited plan…

Why cant they simply be bypassed and not run instead of 500 errors ?

Because, and there is a great post by @KentonVarda somewhere which I can’t find right now, but you can try, not everyone wants that.

Imagine that someone is using them to do some security check or filter on their backend, now you stop running them without any error to anyone: what does it accomplish before if by simply doing a bunch of requests you can then max out the Worker’s limit and bypass it?

Then this setting sound misleading !

Failure mode for this route:

Fail closed (block)

Additional requests will return an error page to your users. We recommend this option if your Worker does security checks.

Fail open (proceed)

Additional requests will bypass your Worker and proceed to your origin.

Those are new settings just added, I had never seen them before.

Are you sure you set-up your route correctly then?

edit just to clarify, before when I was talking about the failing open, I meant the event.passThroughOnException() line to put in the code which fails open when the Worker itself has some issues while running.

Yes route is correct and setting is also set to “Fail open”

Then I would suggest, if you are sure that the Workers actually work when under the limit and the errors aren’t from within the code itself, to contact support.

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help.

I would also like to mention @cloonan to make him check abut this, I am curios about the actual solution and what the problem was.

PS: @Gabber can you share a screenshot of the actual error you are seeing when navigating to the page where the Worker should run?

1 Like

Hi @Gabber, if you receive an automated reply from Support, please respond back and indicate you still need assistance. And, please share your ticket number here.

1 Like