WordPress Widget Error

When trying to update the Widget in WordPress for “About Us”, I keep getting the following error message when trying to save my changes:

“There was an error. You are probably offline.”

Everything else works fine except for the Widget feature.

I’ve contacted my hosting provider and it does not appear to be a server issue or an issue with my internet service provider.

Via some Visual Builder or? :thinking:

Are you using the “classic” widgets plugin or rather using default new “Gutenberg”? :thinking:

The “classic” should work.
However, “Gutenberg” style not really because it’s JSON in the background which might be challenged or blocked.
Since it’s related to the WordPress, I’d suggest you to whitelist your origin host / server / hosting IP address by navigating to the Security → WAF → Tools → IP Access Rules with the action “allow” for your Website and try again.

It knows to happen due to the WordPress using HTTP/1.0 and empty user-agent, therefore while executing WP-Cron or some other related JSON/REST API request via plugin.

My best guess is either Bot Fight Mode or Browser Integrity Check feature challenges or blocks the request.

You should see the challenged/blocked firewall events in the firewall events if you navigate to the Cloudflare dashboard → Security → Overview and lookup for Firewall events for the past 24hours or so. Once you find them, click on a particular one to find more details about it (user-agent, IP, HTTP version …).

Could you share some details which service was triggered that blocked you?

You could determine if this behaviour continues even by using a “Pause” option at Cloudflare as follows:

1. Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com .
  2. The link is in the lower right corner of that page.
  3. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS.
  4. Re-try with updating.
  5. Upon success, un-pause and continue using Cloudflare.

Thank you for the information. I’m not sure what was used for the WordPress. I uploaded a site that I got from a third party. They looked at the issue and said that it wasn’t on their side. I will try what you suggested and I will see what happens.

What blocked me was a Browser integrity check.
It said Export Event JSON.

I tried pausing Cloudflare and did not solve the issue. I don’t have SSL, so could that be the issue?

Actually, SSL is set to flexible.