Wordpress, Comet Cache and Cloudflare

We have a dedicated server running WordPress sites.
Server is Centos 7.8, Plesk Obsidian, and all the sites are running the Pro version of Comet Cache.

We have a Pro (not business or enterprise - way too costly) cloudflare account tied to our main domain.

Now, comet cache differs from other caching plugins like W3, in that it creates STATIC HTML versions of ALL the wordpress dynamic pages, and stores them in a directory under the plugin, and delivers those to users (automatically clears and reloads the cache when you make changes).

Cloudflare doesn’t have a lot of info, none recent, about WordPress. As near as I can tell:

1. We should NOT be using “cache everything” Cloudflare Page rule with WordPress, as we do NOT have the “cookies” (Bypass Cache on Cookie) option available in page rules under pro accounts. Correct? (there are conflicting articles in the knowledgebase)

2. The CloudFlare wordpress plugin is not viable / advised? (it is not tested with latest version of WordPress, for one thing - only up 5.2.6)

3. Is a cache plugin that operates the way comet cache does compatible?

4. Should server-side caching utilities, such as the NGINX cache be used?

Cloudflare really needs more information related to WordPress and to the caching plugins, especially for ‘free’ and ‘Pro’ accounts.

Any help / answers is always appreciated :smiley:

Sid

1. correct

2. you dont need it, pls use CloudFlare on NS/DNS base, no Plugins are ever needed for CloudFlare. NEVER

3. Yes

4. CloudFlare itself is based on NGINX, so yes, Serverside Caching is always good. Specially when it comes to Redis and Varnish (additionally as Varnish is able to cache dynamic content partially)
    CloudFlare does not have any issues with Serverside caching.

No they dont, apparently everything they do/dont do is clearly written.
Also I’m happy that CloudFlare does not privde extra Infos about WordPress as CloudFlare is a ReverseProxy which does NOT aim to statisfiy one CMS, but ALL. Therefor no extra infos have to be provided for any specific CMS.

Once you go how CloudFlare works you will understand.
I btw hate WordPress and hate if IT-Solutions are just aiming to work for one CMS. CloudFlare is not like this, thats why I hate them.

Here the official DL-Site from “Comet Cache”:

Also just tested up to 5.2.6.

And therefor I love them :slight_smile:

Hi,

It all depends on the content of your website. I have a few WordPress websites and they all benefit from the Cache Everything page rule, because they only offer static content to the visitors. By static content I mean content that won’t vary as a result of the user being logged in or out, such as e-commerce shopping carts, “Your Favorite Posts” and things like that. You’ll want to cache everything in sites that are informational in nature, even when they may have some “dynamic” content that is generated for the sole purpose of making content more attractive, such as an image carousel that rotates images randomly.

I guess we could say that if your front end content is all static, you can use Cache Everything as long as you create another rule to bypass cache in the back end and login form (wp-login.php and /wp-admin*). If only a part of your front end is static, you can craft a specific page rule targeting that area of your site, as long as these pages can be distinctly identified via their paths (example.com/path-to-static-pages/*)

If your visitor has to log in to your website, like in an e-commerce website, you can still use the Cache Everything setting to speed things up when possible, by either (1) having a Business Plan or higher to be able to bypass cache on cookies, (2) using a Workers+Plugin solution (paid, but may cost way less than a Biz plan), or (3) by using a plugin that works along with Cloudflare to only allow the Cache Everything to work on static pages. (one such plugin is https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-cloudflare-page-cache/, I haven’t used it).

You can safely ignore these WordPress warnings about not being compatible with the latest WP version. It works just fine. If you use Cache Everything, the Cloudflare plugin gives you a very important tool, called Automatic Cache Management, which when toggled on will purge the cache of any individual HTML page (and related pages, such as feeds, archives etc) cached by Cloudflare when you edit that page.

The way you’ve described it above, Comet operates pretty much the way any other WordPress caching plugin does. It’s only a matter of turning on the right settings. Even with Cache Everything on, occasionally CF will have to request the page back from your origin, and if the page is cached it will be delivered faster.