WordPress + CF Images. Any good reason to use?

Hello all.

I started to write a WordPress plugin for CF Images. It can upload and delete images when a user uploads/edits/deletes an image on the local WordPress instance. I haven’t wrote the redirect hook for displaying the images yet.

I started thinking, CloudFlare’s free caching plan pretty much does the same, and it’s free. One advantage may be the image resizing that CF can do, can anybody tell me a reason why one should use WP + CF Images over just the free caching plan from CF?

Thanks!

A few ideas:

1. limited bandwidth on the origin, you reduce a lot of load without the images.
  2. you offload the creation of the various sizes for responsive images.
  3. less storage requirements on the server.
2 Likes

I can offer a reason not to. It’s a huge pain to do (for now). The Images feature needs special URLs for them. Unless some developer takes this on and creates a plugin to do this, it’s way out of my league.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve been working on a plugin for it. Still not sure it’s worth it, though.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

So #2 makes sense to me. Regarding #1, doesn’t CF caching work offload images to the CF server(s) anyway?

#3 makes sense, IF you are willing to delete your locally stored images, and depend on the images stored on CF in the case of restore. Kind of scary to me :-).

Thank you for your input!

Not 100% of it and each variant for each POP (and even more than a POP, maybe even a cluster) is a new request, plus you have invalidations.

But you’d need only storage for the source, not all the variants.

Good point. That alone may be enough.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.