Wordpress APO - Category Pages Not Being Purged

Hello -

I just enabled APO for our site at www.bleachernation.com. When a new post is published, the Cloudflare cache is not being purged for the category pages (for example, www.bleachernation.com/cubs, www.bleachernation.com/bulls, etc.). A manual purge does work, but my understanding is that the category pages are supposed to be purged automatically and re-cached when there is new content published.

Using Cloudflare plugin version 4.6.0, WP Rocket plugin version 3.10.0, WP version 5.8.1. I confirmed that WP Rocket is purging the server cache correctly.

Here is an example set of headers from a category page that is currently stale, if that helps:

1. age: 1768

2. alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400, h3-29=":443"; ma=86400, h3-28=":443"; ma=86400, h3-27=":443"; ma=86400

3. cache-control: max-age=600

4. cf-apo-via: tcache

5. cf-cache-status: HIT

6. cf-edge-cache: cache,platform=wordpress

7. cf-ray: 6a05b09ab852e226-ORD

8. date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:54:05 GMT

9. expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri=“https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct

10. expires: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:34:32 GMT

11. last-modified: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:24:32 GMT

Thank you for any help on this issue!

There’s an old Github issue on this:

I suspect @yevgen is aware of the issue, but I’m a bit surprised this dates back to March.

Thanks for the reply - I read that issue as being related to the pagination caches (i.e., category page 2 and beyond). That is definitely also an issue, but I’m talking strictly about the main category pages. I assumed those were supposed to be purged, together with the home page. Not talking about pagination caches mentioned in that Github issue.

Ah, now that reads better in my mind. Then I don’t know why categories aren’t purged. That’s a pretty direct connection between a new post and the category it’s in.

Yeah, from all my reading on the APO product, the category pages are supposed to be purged automatically (https://blog.cloudflare.com/apo-post-launch-report/).

Any thoughts on how to debug? Or should I reach out to support?

Edit: just in case anyone checks the URLs later for debugging purposes and sees the bypass - I’ve created Page Rules for our category pages to bypass cache for now, because I don’t want folks getting stale content on those pages. I did leave one category page (www.bleachernation.com/baseballisfun/) without a Page Rule in place so that page does not bypass the cache.

The person I tagged is in a different time zone and probably won’t see this for another eight hours or so.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.