WordPress APO and Page Rules

Hi,

I’m using the WordPress Automatic Optimization (paid feature) in Cloudflare but I’ve also read a few things for WordPress/E-commerce sites regarding ideal page rules. I’m not clear on exactly what the APO does but I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if the following page rules are needed and/or are conflicting with the APO?

1. mysite.com/ajax*
    Cache Level: Bypass

2. mysite.com/*
    Cache Level: Cache Everything

3. mysite.com/wp-content/uploads*
    Browser Cache TTL: a day, Cache Level: Cache Everything, Edge Cache TTL: a month

4. mysite.com/xmlrpc.php*
    Forwarding URL (Status Code: 301 - Permanent Redirect, Url: https://mysite.com/)

5. mysite.com/preview=true
    Cache Level: Bypass

6. mysite.com/wp-admin*
    Security Level: High, Cache Level: Bypass, Disable Apps, Disable Performance

ALSO - if I may ask another question…there are several speed plugins out there that also offer css and js minification so should those NOT be turned on and only turned on in Cloudflare?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

My understanding is that you don’t need any of the mentioned page rules. You can use page rules to create exceptions to APO’s default behavior (please see the documentation below).

Rules #1, 2, 5 and 6, APO does that by default;
Rule #3, Cloudflare caches static assets by default, with or without APO
Rule #4 is just a redirect to avoid access via xmlrpc. You can enable it, or you can use Access to block access to it.

As for minification, you may use a plugin for that, and several plugins do a more aggressive minfiication than Cloudflare’s .

1 Like

You can find this helpful: Automatic Platform Optimization post-launch report, we are working on better docs for APO to cover caching plugins compatibility.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.