Won't resolve with www

My main site caribbeanwineclub.com resolves fine. (with or without www prefix)

My subdomain shop.caribbeanwineclub.com will only resolve if it is entered without www in front of it.

If you try to go to www.shop.caribbeanwineclub.com you get an error page.

I know I’m missing a CNAME or A to get this to resolve but I can’t seem to make it work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is probably an SSL error. Wildcard SSL doesn’t support a second level subdomain. The best way to handle this is to add a Page Rule to match www.shop.caribbeanwineclub.com/* and 301 Forward that to https://shop.caribbeanwineclub.com/$1

Fingers crossed that works before it hits the SSL error.

Deployed that.

Still getting an error. Thanks for your help regardless.

Huh, as it turns out, I don’t think you have a DNS entry for www.shop
Go check your Cloudflare DNS page.

So that would be a CNAME, right?

So:

CNAME www.shop is an alias of shop.caribbeanwineclub.com

Edit: That did something. Now it resolves but I get this error:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
www.shop.caribbeanwineclub.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

So much for crossing my fingers. It hits the SSL certificate before the Page Rule triggers.

Do you actually have any links or anything else that would cause people to go to www.shop?

If there’s no way to work around the cert error, which I’m not seeing a workaround, you’d have to pay for a $10/month Custom SSL certificate that includes the sub-subdomain for www.shop.

Or just hope nobody actually types in www.shop to get to your shopping website. If this is the case, you should remove that DNS entry. It won’t resolve, but if it never existed in the first place, it’s not a critical issue. For example, there’s no such thing as www.community.cloudflare.com, and there’s no reason people should type it in. It’s never been a valid or published URL.

No, I haven’t rolled that out anywhere. Just trying some QC before I launch it.

My plan is to have a link directly from the main site but there are always those that insist on putting www in front of all urls and I was trying to avoid the confusion.

Thanks for your help though!