Will pointing my domains name servers at cloudflare automatically send a records to cloudflare on an old account?

Hello,

So I have an older cloudflare account. I’ve moved my domain a couple times this month to new hosts, finally we’ve settled on a new host. Because of the move, I went and deleted all the records from the DNS with cloudflare. Not sure if I needed to delete them or not, but I did. The host we now have also handles our domain name, so we’ve gone ahead and pointed our domain name servers to cloudflares. So my question is: will a records and such be automatically pulled from my host and put into cloudflare, or is that only done when using the cpanel app? My host no longer uses the cpanel app, and they told me to simply point the name servers to cloudflare and it would all be automatic, but I think they might be mistaken because I’m still getting the warning messages:

An A, AAAA or CNAME record was not found for the www subdomain. The www. subdomain will not resolve.
An A, AAAA or CNAME record was not found pointing to the root domain. The .com domain will not resolve.

It’s been only like 14 hours, I know it can take 48 hours for dns changes, but I wanted to know in advance how this works, if I need to manually add the records back or not.

Thank you!

is there a way to re-scan? or must I make a new account for that? I don’t want to manually add 1000 different records :stuck_out_tongue: From what I can see I need to delete my website here, then re-add it…please tell me it isn’t so :frowning:

Hi there,

Unfortunately yes, you will need to manually add the correct DNS records based on information from your hosting provider.

I guess I’ll just delete the website then, then re-add it :frowning: Will I still have the same API key?

Update: My domain provider told me to copy EVERYTHING from my “advanced zone editor,” I think he/she was mistaken because I never had that much inside cloudflare in the past and it worked fine. Instead I went to the normal “zone editor,” and copied those much fewer records (all but the “local host” one). Not sure if the autodiscover and autoconfig were actually needed to be copied over or not, but I did anyway???

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.