WIKI: Using page rules to perform redirects

domjhtutorials
page-rules
wiki

This is a wiki post, users of a high enough trust level are able to edit it and add their input

I am creating this topic in the hope that people will find it when searching for info on page rule redirects not working. It seems to come up regularly on here! If anyone has any input on this or would like to add any suggestions, then please do so. I have made this post a wiki so higher trust level users will be able to edit it and add their input.

Firstly, I would like to reference this support article:

This explains the different variables you can use within your forwarding page rules.

The main thing I would like to address is the question. “Why doesn’t my redirect page rule work”. This is addressed briefly at the top of the support article but isn’t very obvious and appears to be missed or not understood by many users:

Remember that any Page Rule subdomains must be resolving to Cloudflare in order to work. Subdomains that don’t exist in DNS or aren’t being directed to Cloudflare won’t have Page Rules applied, so you’ll need an “Orange Clouded” DNS record for the subdomain for the Page Rule to work.

Meaning:

You will need a record in the DNS tab of your Cloudflare dashboard for the host you are trying to redirect from, set to :orange:

For example:
If I wanted to redirect all users from redirect.example.com with a page rule then I would need to add a DNS record for redirect.example.com and set it to :orange:. I would recommend creating an A record for the host, pointing to 192.0.2.1
i.e. this record:

replacing redirect with the subdomain you wish to redirect from.

What is 192.0.2.1?

The basic answer:

192.0.2.1 is an illustrative IP address often used for router setups on local networks etc. I doesn’t ‘go’ anywhere!

The official answer:

192.0.2.1 is in the 192.0.2.0/24 block. 192.0.2.0/24 is assigned as
“TEST-NET-1” for use in documentation and example code. It is often used in conjuction with domain names example.com or example.net in vendor and protocol documentation. Addresses within this block do not legitimately appear on the public Internet and can be used without any coordination with IANA or an Internet registry.

I would also like to reference the community tip on page rules:

Just a mention to @corby, thank you for suggesting this as a point for me to address.