Why is Cloudflare not usable?

First, I linked static IP from Lightsail instance to Cloudflare A record, No POST requests are allowed since it can’t go through Django CSRF token validation.
Then, I created a DNS zone, Added 4 NS records to CF, Created A record on Lightsail, It refuse to work.
Then, I did the same thing above except with a different domain that’s on NameCheap, It worked like expected.
What is Cloudflare doing? What’s in Cloudflare “setting” that’s causing all of these?

what you tell it to do

These errors like DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN? Appears to be an issue with your dns records from the NXDOMAIN error. I’d go through the quickfix iteas in this #CommunityTip

1 Like

My current domain registrar is Cloudflare, It would have worked if it wasn’t, I tested the exact same thing on NameCheap, Right after putting 4 ns records and created an A record on LightSail it worked, And I tried the same thing on Cloudflare many times, It doesn’t work.
Also Cloudflare is holding my domain hostage, It won’t let me transfer back to Namecheap since it’s been recently transferred to CF.

Every registrar would ‘hold’ your domain for 60 days - if you don’t like this, go complain to ICANN. https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/about-icann-faqs-2019-02-25-en

Registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant’s information

Why? What for?

From what you’re saying, you’re trying to use ‘Lightsail’ as your DNS provider and not Cloudflare - which you can’t do when using Cloudflare Registrar.

Explain what your problem is and people can help. Nothing you’ve said so far makes much sense to anyone but yourself.

3 Likes

“From what you’re saying, you’re trying to use ‘Lightsail’ as your DNS provider and not Cloudflare - which you can’t do when using Cloudflare Registrar.”
Yes, Im trying to Lightsail as my DNS provider, “which you can’t do when using Cloudflare Registrar” Why do i not have the right to do so? Every domain registrar should give this right no?

Because it’s in the Cloudflare Registrar terms.

Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

I’d recommend seeing if you can use an A, AAAA or CNAME record as opposed to changing nameservers.

1 Like

Well thanks for that, But this means I’m stuck for 60 days, I need that domain, The Cloudflare nameserver isn’t compatible with Django CSRF cookies

I don’t understand what you mean by the Cloudflare ‘nameserver’ - nameservers have 0 bearing on your apps behaviour, they just serve DNS in the exact same way any other provider would.

If you’re saying that Cloudflare proxy causes issues, just set the DNS records to DNS Only (grey cloud).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.