Why Does DNSSTUFF.COM Report SOA and MX fails on our Domain?

Running a dnsstuff.com domain analysis reports the following fails. Any insights as to why?

Not sure… I just rant the following to commands and got back answers.

dig your.domain soa @8.8.8.8 +trace
and
dig your.domain mx @8.8.8.8 +trace

An SOA was reported which was one of your nameservers (which is what you’d expect) and your Mx records (still) point to teh Googles.

Hi again, You may remember some of my recent posts on the subject of transferring DNS to Cloudflare raised by the person whose business had been providing this service to us. It was he who brought these errors to my attention and I do need to provide a substantive answer to him.

With respect to MX, we are using Google Apps for Business so are not hosting our own email services - which I assume is what the MX error is all about.

But the SOA is a mystery - particularly the statement that our nameservers need to have a master/slave relationship. Is this something I control or is this simply the way Cloudflare nameservers are structured?

Thanks.

Looks fine here:

Mx looks healthy (it was teh Google before, still is): https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=a%3Ayour.domain&run=toolpage# and
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=a%3Ayour.domain&run=toolpage#

(replace your.domain above)

The same two tests fail for my domain, and I promise I get mail. I think dnsstuff may just be broken.

Hi,
Doing a DNS using mxtoolbox.com, it issues the following error messages:

• DNS Record not found
  • No DMARC Record found

and the following warnings:

• SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid
  • SOA Expire Value out of recommended range

And warnings for all the Google MX records with the message “Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner”

Even though everything appears to be working fine, when tests return error messages and warning messages, that does make me want to find out why it is and what can be done to make those errors and warnings go away. This is compounded by the fact that I am new to both DNS management and Cloudflare.

These warnings can be safety ignored. Our serial number format is different than the format used by BIND which is the most popular DNS server, but it doesn’t impact anything as we don’t replicate our DNS to other systems. And the recommended range for the SOA is just that… a recommendation. We’re aware of the recommendation but chose a different value.

I’m not sure which query gave you DNS record not found.
You don’t have DMARC record and hostly probably don’t want or need one.

Thanks for the SOA info

Regarding the DNS Record not found, Step 1 was to run the test at
https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx
and then on the results page clicking the green ‘Find Problems’ button which brought up another page with the details.

Ah found it… that’s also related to the DMARC record (or lack thereof). Honestly don’t see a reason you’d need it.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.