Why did only half of my subdomains dns move to cloudflare

Hi!

After I connected my site to Cloudflare, only some subdomains got moved in when it was scanning the site’s DNS records. the rest of the subdomains, I had to add manually. I also noticed that the DNS records for the subdomains that were automatically moved in were different from the ones I added manually. They were IP addresses and had 3 records for each subdomain.

Thankyou!

There is no reliable way to find all active DNS entries. Cloudflare just tries some common names when importing DNS records, and you have to add the other records yourself.

Did you see this in the dashboard or when querying your records?

Hi!

Thanks for responding.

My hosting provider is Netlify, so all the subdomains have a DNS record type: NETLIFY. So i was surprised to see that Cloudflare identified one of the subdomains, and on the dns dashboard, it was just 3 records with the content being, what looked like an IP address. All the other subdomains I added myself were a url in the name field and only one record.

Thankyou.

NETLIFY is an internal record designation used by Netlify. Externally, they need to publish records as A/AAAA (meaning as IP addresses).

These are the addresses Cloudflare would have imported.

However, Netlify might require that you use CNAME records when using external DNS, so that they are still in control of changing the IPs.

Hi.

Thanks for responding.

So basically the 3 IP addresses imported for the subdomain are pretty much the same as CNAME records?
I have attached a list of most of the DNS records on the Cloudflare dashboard. As you can see, the subdomain AI is different from SUBDOMAIN1

Type Name Content TTL
A ai XX.XX.XXX.XX Auto
A ai XX.XX.XXX.XX Auto
A ai XX.XX.XXX.XX Auto
A domain .com XX.XX.XXX.XXX Auto
A domain. com XX.XX.XXX.XXX Auto
A domain. ‎com XX.XX.XXX.XXX Auto
A www XX.XX.XXX.XXX Auto
A www XX.X.XXX.XXX Auto
CNAME subdomain1 subdomain1–domainname.netlify.app Auto

Thankyou.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.