Why cloudfare took my domain from Squarespace without my permission?

I never had an account with couludfare and today I found out they have my domain name. I opened the domain name with Squarespace and never transferred to Cloudflare. I would like to transfer my domain right away to Squarespace and learn how and why Cludfare took my domain name without my permission.

Thank you.

What is the name of the website?

That seems unlikely.

:arrow_up:

Kind2care com

1 Like

i can not put . between kind2care and com but you get the idea what the website is

Thank you. whois shows that domain as registered 2023-01-05 and cloudflare as the registrar. Namerservers are

Name Server: finley.ns.cloudflare.com
Name Server: rafe.ns.cloudflare.com

Those appear to be the only two ever associated with that domain, https://securitytrails.com/domain/kind2care.com/history/ns

Is it possible you purchased it in a different Cloudflare account?

The only way you’ll be able to regain access is by having access to the email address of the account. I suspect the third link is the one that may help.

These links may help, but they only work when logged out

If you know the email: https://dash.cloudflare.com/forgot-password
If you know the email and have 2FA issues: https://dash.cloudflare.com/login-help
If you don’t know the email: https://dash.cloudflare.com/forgot-email

1 Like

Thank you.
I never knew or signed up with Cloudflare. I created the domain early this year on Squarespace 14 days trial and something got in the way that I did not continue with the plan. Today, I visited Squarespace to pick up where I left off and my domain is not available. Then I found out Cloudflare has it and really made me wonder and upset how they got a hold of it. I know my email and tried to add the domain and this message has been written on the page: " Pending Newserver Update", which I do not what it means.

That sounds like a free trial. Did you pay Squarespace anything during that time?

3 Likes

No, I did not. That is why I think my domain was just given to Cloudflare. It does not seem I can not get help from Cloudflare and I do not understand how I can get that domain and transfer it back to Squarespace to make my website. Does anyone know what does “Pending Newserver Update” mean? Thanks.

I’m afraid it’s not your domain if you didn’t buy it.

Someone else has bought that domain now, so it is their domain.

If you believe that you have a legal claim on that domain, you should consult with a lawyer for further advice.

Otherwise, you could contact the owner via the contact form that you can find in the whois data. I can imagine the owner of the domain is quite willing to sell it to you.

4 Likes

Thank you. I looked up Whois but can not find who has my domain to contact them. Can someone help, please? Below is what I found. I know the creation date is when I created it.

• Name: KIND2CARE (has dot com at the end)
  • Registry Domain ID: 2749461664_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
  • Domain Status: [clientTransferProhibited ]
  • Nameservers: (they do not let me has the link here)

Dates

• Registry Expiration: 2024-01-05 22:47:42 UTC
  • Updated: 2023-01-05 22:47:45 UTC
  • Created: 2023-01-05 22:47:42 UTC

Go here…
https://domaincontact.cloudflareregistrar.com/kind2care.com

(For any Cloudflare staff passing, the link on the page below goes to the abuse page instead of, I assume, the domain contact form)

1 Like

Hi,

I have checked Whois and Cloudflar owns my domain that is not published and was created by me on Squarespace almost 1 year ago. I found it is unavailable because Cloudflare has it and I came here to claim it but it says “Pending Nameserver update”. I need my domain today before 5 pm. Cloudflare says it takes 24 hours, at 4:20 pm it will be 24 hours. I can not afford to pay $200 for a domina that belongs to me and Cloudflare took it from me. Any recommendations is appreciated. The name of my domain is “kind2care” but ends with dot come

In cases like this, it usually means the site is active in a different account than the one to which you are logged in.

Did you try this link (when logged out) to see if an email reset is sent to an account you own?

Is that on your ticket 3071519? I do not see that mentioned but it sounds like the amount of time needed for nameserver changes to be propagated, perhaps? Is it on the dash?

No, cloudflare is the Registrar for domains. You own your domain, you can see the receipt for purchase of the domain here, https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/billing except that the domain is not owned in the account you are using here.

Where did that number come up?

:point_up: :point_down:

1 Like

It’s possible that you have another Cloudflare account if you bought the domain from iCloud Settings

Can you try logging out of the current Cloudflare account you created and attempting to log in with Apple?

1 Like

Hi Cloonan,
Thank you for trying to help. I never got the link on Cloudflare to have any email associated with it.

I got the domain at the beginning of the year with Squarespace’s free trial. Then life got in the way and did not purchase it. I got back to Squarespace to continue with my site that asked for a domain and showed my domain kind2care (dot com) was not available. I wondered who had it, and it came that Cloudflare has it. I checked Whois and it verifies that only Cloudflare has it with no one else. so I created an account on Cloudflare and have asked to get my domain kind2care. It has been close to 24 hours and still, it says “Pending Nameserver update.” I need this domain today to start my Google account or I will lose everything I have.

Thank you but it is not possible, because I just learned about Cloudflare yesterday that they have my domain I had no idea they had it because, at the beginning of the year, I created it on Squarspace free trial. Thank you

When you did the free trail with Squarespace, did you sign in using Apple ID for your Squarespace account?

2 Likes

In January of 2023. I used my email address to open an account with Squarespace, not Apple ID.

Then this is not a domain you own. Best of luck. If you believe you own the domain, retrieve the transaction details and open a dispute with Squarespace and/or Cloudflare.

3 Likes