Why are my images not being served through the Cloudflare CDN?

When I compare two different domains, one being mine and one being another website, I can see that all the images on my website are not being served through a CDN and I don’t know why.

Screenshot of my website attached. I am a paying Cloudflare customer and can’t find anywhere to confirm that CDN is enabled. Pingdom is shown over 56 requests to load the page. A normal website is less than 10. I don’t know how to confirm anything about CDN from my Cloudflare dashboard.

Can you help check:

1/ Did you turn on proxy mode? If you turn on proxy mode & caching is working, you will see cf-cache-status & cf-ray header in the response. Proxy status · Cloudflare DNS docs.

2/ Cloudflare has default cache which you may need to know:

Cloudflare does not cache the resource when:

• The Cache-Control header is set to private, no-store, no-cache, or max-age=0.
  • The Set-Cookie header exists.
  • Cloudflare only caches resources within the Cloudflare data center that serve the request. Cloudflare does not cache off-site or third-party resources, such as Facebook or Flickr, or content hosted on unproxied (grey-clouded) DNS records.

We highly encourage you to read more about Cloudflare’s Default Cache Behavior · Cloudflare Cache (CDN) to understand Cloudflare Cache Behavior.

In order to override cache header in this case, you can create a Cache Rules with Edge Cache TTL. Please kindly find the instruction at Create Edge Cache TTL page rules.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. To answer your questions:

1. Yes proxy mode is one and the headers are appearing → Screenshot Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2. The headers are not private, no-store, etc. like you mention. They are configured correctly as shown here in the screenshot: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The website is https://fintechfuturo.com/ and I am a PRO paying customer of Cloudflare. Why are the images not being served through Cloudflare? Is there not any customer support even though I am paying hundreds a year for this service? That seems wrong. The site was built in WordPress. I’ve installed plugins for the images offload (Offload, AI & Optimize with Cloudflare Images – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org) and added an API token of Cloudflare but still images are not serving from Cloudflare. Please suggest if any settings need to be on Cloudflare.

Your images are being served from the Cloudflare cache, converted to webp.

I’m not familiar with that plugin, but it appears to be meant to make your site use Cloudflare Images. If it’s not working that’s probably an issue with the setup and configuration of the plugin. There is a support forum for the plugin that you could look to for help with that.

That plugin was installed just a few days ago to try and fix this issue. Cloudflare hasn’t been serving the images on the website for 6 months and I don’t understand why.

Why do you say my images are being served from the Cloudflare cache?

This is what I see for one of your images, fintechfuturo.png.

HTTP/2 200
date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 21:09:50 GMT
content-type: image/webp
content-length: 16778
cache-control: public, max-age=10368000
expires: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 19:28:37 GMT
last-modified: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 01:15:25 GMT
vary: Accept,Accept,Accept-Encoding
x-turbo-charged-by: LiteSpeed
cf-cache-status: HIT
accept-ranges: bytes
report-to: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v4?s=HcfnCxxptWSBRq%2B%2Fe%2F8VQ1uA8gThfnu7Bw52%2FmT8b3SCdZwQVdAL8P2AIjpPdFk1S9N3bcgZdpRLARq4PiBHz%2F1WkP8NRPiWhmoK9BjNImWx9u7sfadJGj6RxmlqfZGNjVURHI9Kj08l0Au5DeOU"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
nel: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: 895e434189d241e7-EWR

The headers show that the image is being served as a webp (content-type) from the Cloudflare cache (cf-cache-status).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.