Which setting use if i still have an SSL on my server?

This is a simple question.
What happens if I enable SSL in the SSL/TLS app while I already have SSL running on my server? Does this conflict? Or does this overrule my certificate?

And what if I turn SSL off in Cloudflare? Is in that case my site provided with my own certificate?

Cloudflare is a reverse proxy, so utilizing the Cloudflare proxy and Cloudflare SSL will present a SSL certificate issued by Cloudflare like so:

If you want to use a custom certificate like an EV certificate, you’ll need to upgrade to the business plan (but that is not recommended)

Since it’s best for the connection between Cloudflare and your server to also be SSL encrypted, you just need to make sure the SSL setting in the SSL/TLS app is “full (strict)” (if you have a valid certificate; it will need to stay valid) or “full” (if it’s not already valid, such as if it’s self-signed).

1 Like

The certificate on my server is not taken over, if I disable SSL on the SSL/TLS app? And my site doesn’t use SSL on CF Is this correct?
With SSL on, is the standard Comodo SSL certificate from CF always used?

If you disable SSL in the SSL/TLS app, Cloudflare will become an HTTP proxy for your site, and not HTTPS. Visitors will not get SSL. SSL/TLS app on Cloudflare needs to be set to Full (Strict) to have SSL on your site.

If you enable SSL in the SSL/TLS app, your visitors will see the Comodo certificate when visiting your site via HTTPS.

So, to answer your question, you need the Full (Strict) setting since you have SSL on your server.
cfssl_strict

“Cloudflare is an HTTP proxy.”
You are indeed right about that. I should have thought of this before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.