When I turn on DNS Proxy, It Points To Old Site IP Address

I have a site on Cloudflare, when I uncheck the proxy cloud icon, it works and points at my current site. However, when I click to proxy the IP address through CF, my old site on my old server from months ago shows online. How can I force CF to use my new A record / IP address even when I proxy the connection through CF?

Who was the provider then?

It sounds like your old provider used Cloudflare for SaaS. Please contact them and ask them to remove any Cloudflare configurations for your domain, specifically SSL for SaaS / Custom Hostnames.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

In my case, the original hosting provider was WP Engine, however, it was my client who did the initial setup on Cloudflare and they set it up replicating the DNS setup from their GoDaddy domain registration. I started to manage this URL about a year ago while it was still pointing to WP Engine and working fine. I gained access by them granting me access to the account that was setup by their IT department as noted above.

About 4 months ago, we moved to a dedicated server that we run (Linux server built in AWS) and updated the Cloudflare DNS ‘A’ record to point to the new IP address. When I turned they proxy off, everything works fine and has been doing so since the migration. However, it’s been turned off for the past 3-4 months and they would like to take advantage of some of the CF security features, so I wanted to turn it on today. By doing so, the site immediately started to point to the old WP Engine website.

I’ve searched help articles and similar stories in here. There was no other configuration done by a third party provider and I’ve double checked that the NS records all match up to the DNS configuration that I’m looking at when I log into Cloudflare (which is also evident by the fact that the site reverted to the older version immediately when I turned on the proxy setting).

I’m almost certain that there is no SaaS provider that is involved in this since it is such a straightforward setup, but if it still sounds like a possibility from the above explanation, I’d love to know where I should be looking for this. There are no other hosts/admins/companies other than myself at this time.

You might still want to verify that WP Engine doesn’t have your client’s domain enrolled in Cloudflare SSL for SaaS.

Spoke with WPEngine today to confirm that there are no integration pieces that they have with Cloudflare that would have included our site/setup. The support team checked any components that use CF, even though they wouldn’t apply to us and confirmed that they don’t offer any other integrations, including Cloudflare SSL for SaaS.

This sounds like it is a CF issue only. Even my CNAME ‘www’ record still shows that it points to the old server when I turn on the proxy setting.

I tried to remove the A and CNAME again today and recreate them with Proxy being turned on, in hopes that by doing both and ensuring that I have Proxy turned on, that it would recreate the connection in CF back-end… I don’t know if that’s how it works, but it didn’t work for me.

Thoughts??

1 Like

WPEngine definitely use Cloudflare as I have seen people with the same problem here before getting the custom hostname removed.

Still, if they won’t help you then Cloudflare Support will probably have to do it manually. This may take a bit of time to process.
Please email [email protected] with the subject Cannot remove custom host name and details of the issue. Once you’ve done that you’ll receive an automatic response with a ticket number. Please post that here so we can escalate it. Once you have reached out to Support they will ask you to verify ownership of the domain.

1 Like

Thank you @domjh

The ticket number is: #2476352

I’ll wait from here to see what they say.

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve escalated that ticket.

@domjh Thank you so much for the help!

I’ll admit - I couldn’t figure out how WP Engine would be involved at first, especially when they kept telling me that they are not. But after speaking with the CF support team and copying/pasting their comments to WP Engine, I was able to have my domain completely removed on their end. Then, CF support was kind enough to also double check that everything was removed from their end. In the end, they were able to give directions and get everything working within 1-2 days. I’ve seen other concerns that are similar online, I really appreciate your help and direction to get this resolved so quick!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.