What's the point of the IP in the DNS entry for A records in cloudflare if I have proxying turned on?

I understand that once I switch to “DNS Only” the IP starts making sense, but for a proxied connection, it’ll hit whatever origin pool I set up. I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. I’m trouble-shooting an issue where the load we see in our data centers don’t match what we have configured in the origin pools, and I just want to make sure I’m not missing out on something non-obvious.

For example is there some kind of “DNS Only” fallback mode when origin pools are unavailable or something?

May I ask are you using a Load Balancer or?

I presume you have a Cloudflare Load Balancer configured. In this case, the DNS entry is redundant. It is recommended to leave the DNS entry there in case you accidentally delete the load balancer, or for some other reason the load balancer fails.

Even in DNS only mode, the load balancer is used. The load balancer can itself be proxied or DNS only.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, I’m using a load balancer.

That’s what I figured. I just wanted to know if there were any edge cases where this was not the case.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.