What should I do to resolve DMCA Abuse complaint?

Update: I’m giving up on this, hosting provider state I need Cloudflare to cancel this abuse complaint, Cloudflare states I should contact the hosting provider directly to solve this issue on and on. Well done, driven me into this endless loop.

I had won the victory over myself. I loved Big Brother.

Hi there, this all started as three days ago, I was learning javascript that day, was thinking about testing reverse proxy on Cloudflare Worker, it worked. It has nothing to do with intentionally attempting to attract Internet users to this endpoint nor any other malicious intentions.

I’ve reverse proxy the Coinbase website by using Cloudflare Worker, plus enabled route traffic to this endpoint. And this endpoint actually resolves to Cloudflare IP address. Since this subdomain has nothing to do with my VPS provider’s IP, the Cloudflare goes after my second-level domain, which do point to my VPS and file an abuse complaint to my VPS provider.

Now since I’ve deleted all the DNS records and disabled the aforementioned Worker proxy. Please, Is there any chance to cancel this abuse complaint? I’m a university student without robust financial capability, now that my VPS service provider had suspended my VPS server, I may never get to access a lot of my Project running on that server. Plus I and my friends are counts on this server to bypass Our government’s censorship to access Youtube, Google, Wikipedia, etc.

My VPS provider said they’re not gonna enable my VPS unless Cloudflare resolves this abuse complaint. What should I do? Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

image (1)

Hi @sWRrfwarl,

The community can’t really help with abuse issues. Did you receive an email from Cloudflare about it and/or see a message in your Cloudflare dashboard?

No, there is not. Thanks for help out anyway. Cloudflare forward that abuse complaint direct to my VPS provider, I have not receive any type of notification till I find out they shut down my server.

So this is it? I lost my VPS all because of a single innocuous test that only last for three days. :frowning:

You could try contacting support about it. If you get an autoreply back again, please respond back and ask that the case is escalated to the Trust & Safety team.

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll try it. Thank you, domjh! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve received an update from the Trust & Safety Team, does it means that Cloudflare has resolved the abuse complaint that involved my domain? That I can proceed to use this response to negotiate with my host provider to lift the ban on my VPS?

I’m able to go to your site. There’s nothing there, but it exists and is reachable.

I inspected the headers and all looks good.

Cause I’ve reconfigured DNS record to resolve to another Digital Ocean Droplet for emergency usage, otherwise I’m not able to access Google, Gmail, etc, let alone communicate with My host provider and Cloudflare. It just a front to trick censorship xD, not my real site. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you control (own) the domain, you should be able to transfer it to another host (just as you’ve done usingn Digital Ocean). Unless, ofc, you bought the domain from your actual webhost. Then it may be a bit troublesome.

Nope, my original host had better internet infrastructure from the prospect of speed and stability, more importantly, I spend a lot of money on that server and it’s pay by annual. That I cannot take such a consequence. :frowning:

All this reverse proxy stuff implemented by Worker happens on Cloudflare side, They could at least notify me or simply suspend my Worker or block that endpoint or stop resolving my domain before hunt down my original server right?

Unfortunately, many DMCA takedowns occur automatically upon the request(s) made by LARGE Corporate Interests. So CloudFlare may not have done this purposefully. I can only recommend what @domjh has recommended. I’d submit another request to CloudFlare as the letter you received is a standard first response for many different issues. At the same time submit the letter you did receive from CloudFlare to your host. And do not give up the fight.

Yup, I’m still trying it, thanks mate! :smiley: If this didn’t work out, at least I want my data back and take the consequence of my reckless and stupid test.

Thats something terrible, if cloudflare directly contacted VPS provider rather than you. Since your domain host is on Cloudflare DNS. They should definitly contacted you first. It might be an error on cloudflare part to trigger DMCA notifications directly to VPS provider than to you.

Exactly, what’s more, this abuse complaint is initially generated by RiskIQ to Cloudflare, Cloudflare find out this subdomain resolves to Cloudflare’s IP (since it’s simply a reverse proxy run by Worker), they seem like had no chose but hunt my Second-level domain witch pointed to my VPS, then their forward that report to my host provider’s provider. The deadline was given by my host provider’s provider is that if my host provider does not shut down my server within 72 hours they gonna disconnect all the network segment which my VPS resides. It took me a while to figure out what’s going on out there cause I literally forget that I have a Worker running at Cloudflare. Soooo brutal and merciless I would say.

Did you backup your data from the VPS? Atleast aks the VPS provider support team to give a copy of the data to be downloaded locally.

Cloudflare support responses are too slow for free users, since they get lots of messages in their inbox.

Aye, I was waiting for my host provider to respond.

Did Cloudflare send the complaint or did they just forward a third party complaint?

In the former case, it would seem as if everything is resolved, as Cloudflare already told you there are no restrictions. In the latter case (which is more likely) Cloudflare is not involved at all but simply forwarded the request.

Your host’s response is somewhat unorthodox, but this is unfortunately something you have to clarify with your host and potentially with the original plaintiff. Cloudflare is not really involved here and the advice @domjh already gave you is all you need.

1 Like

Sorry for the slow response, It took me 18 minutes to load this page. :frowning: As I’ve mentioned above, the abuse complaint may be generated by some type of automated scanner or something, all their being able to find out is that coinbase.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xx is hosted at Cloudflare, it’s Cloudflare Team who find out my second-level domain is resolve to my VPS (since I only enabled DNS proxy), therefore, forward that complaint to my host provider. Yes, right now I was still waiting for my host provider to respond.

The question still is who it was who sent the complaint.

Can you post the full message here?