What is TCP Turbo, and How does it actually works?

Hi…

What is TCP Turbo, How does it boost website speed…

I couldn’t find any articles or official posts by Cloudflare…

I’m about to Upgrade to Pro plan…

The Mirage + TCP Turbo is the Two things I’m gonna get extra… ( I’m not gonna use Mirage )

Recently I enabled Argo…

So, is it really worth spending 20$/m to have Just TCP Pro + few Page Rules?

Experts, Kindly Advice…

TCP Turbo does make a difference https://blog.cloudflare.com/new-speed-page/

As a bonus, we’re also rolling out one more new feature: “TCP Turbo” automatically chooses the TCP settings to further accelerate your website.

CF dashboard description

TCP Turbo

Reduce latency and throughput with custom-tuned TCP optimizations. Enabled automatically for Pro, Business, and Enterprise customers.

As to Cloudflare Pro vs Free plans, Cloudflare Pro plan is beneficial for higher quotas or page rules, firewall rules, firewall ip/rule limits, rate limiting rules, user agent blocking rules and mirage/polish webp, enhanced HTTP/2 priorization, TCP Turbo etc which free plan won’t have and/or has less quota limits for.

All these additional quota/features allow you to better make use of Cloudflare for security and performance.

Anyway, you can always try Pro for a month and downgrade if it isn’t useful for yourself.

I find when I first went from Free to Pro, it opened up more opportunities that required more quotas for page rules and firewall rules and not to mention having CF WAF (Web Application Firewall) !

I posted example screenshots of WAF rules that Pro and higher provide which can be tailored to your specific web apps at Help with DDoS attacks please

US$20/month or US$0.667/day is a no brainer really for what you get these days compared to say CF 5+ yrs ago :smiley:

Can you tell me a little bit more…

How page rules help Performance boosting?

I activated Argo - but I couldn’t see any Improvement on the TTFB Test…

I’ll test it after two days again…

Have you Tried TCP Pro and Argo ?

What about the Rocket Loader…

it adds a JS ( that delays few ms )

As you said, I can give a try for one or two months…

Before the tests I really wish to get advices from the experts…

NB: I really liked Cloudflare ( CDN for Root Domain )

I know only three companies having this facility…

1 - Akamai
2 - Cloudflare
3 - Quic cloud
4 - ( mention if you know more… )

Thanks…

Example my forum’s software, Xenforo serves css via css.php file so Cloudflare doesn’t cache it by default as it only caches files with image extensions and .php isn’t a valid static file cache extension. So you can setup a page rule to tell Cloudflare to cache css.php requests :slight_smile:

How are you testing TTFB ? You’re testing the wrong metric. CF Argo is about improving one aspect of page speed = server connection response time which makes up a part of overall TTFB but there are other factors that combine to make up TTFB.

Also CF Argo’s benefits will be geographically relative. Your biggest gains are with data center/countries further away from your origin server location. And smallest gains will be with country visitors closest to your origin location.

I posted my CF Argo adventures on my forums including the server response time metrics before and after CF Argo to confirm it working at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/cloudflare-argo-smart-routing-in-action.17517/

Cloudflare Argo has improved my server response time by 61.94% and it shows in my Google Analytics/Datastudio page speed stats in 2nd screenshot. This is current Cloudflare Argo statistics via dashboard and my own custom Argo Analytics API query script for per Cloudflare datacenter metrics

left side Cloudflare Argo stats from dashboard console vs right side my own Argo Analytics API query script to get Argo metrics on a per datacenter basis. As expected, the biggest benefit for Argo will be for visitors further away from your origin server’s geographic location. For me my origin is in US West Coast, so datacenters like SEA (Seattle) and LAX (Los Angles) will have lower % percentage improvement for server response time ~ 41.27% and 41.11% respectively. While datacenters further away like DME (Moscow) and DUB (Dubia) have much higher % percentage improvements for server response time ~ 67.07% and 75.75% respectively.

Digging deeper into my forums Google Analytics via Google Data Studio and filtering pagespeed metrics by sub-continents. This is the pagespeed stats just for European visitors making up Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Europe for May 5th to May 19th where Cloudflare Argo was enabled on May 14th.

Note up 90-95% of visitors are desktop so the mobile stats some days may have 0 mobile visitors or mobile visitors who use web browsers without reportable metrics.

Again Cloudflare Argo effects your server response times so average server response times are the focus here. As you can see from May 14th onwards, average server response times have fallen for Cloudflare Argo smart routed traffic which from above Argo metrics is around 87% of the requests so still 13% of requests didn’t go through Cloudflare Argo.

Desktop visitors for Europe page speed

Yes I am using both for my forums :slight_smile:

1 Like

First of all Thanks for the longest reply…

Thanks for spending time for help…

Can you please let me know what exactly Argo and TCP Pro does…?

CF Provides little info about Argo and there is Tutorials…

But, Nothing about TCP Pro…

How a WordPress site can get good performance by using page rules?

Just Adding CF DNS Proxy and Tweaks the Dashboard ON/OFF Buttons is NOT Enough?

Can you provide me some tutorials you found online to Tweak CF to Maximum Speed…

TCP Turbo is explained above with regards to TCP optimizations. If you need more technical details best to submit a Cloudflare support ticket to ask for specifics.

As to Argo there’s nothing else needed other than enabling it for it to work. See

For Wordpress see

That that will do most of the page speed optimisations with Cloudflare for visitor facing performance. To fully optimise for page speed you need to optimize 3 segments.

1. segment 1 - connection between visitor and CF edge server i.e. CDN cache, WAF, Firewall, Page Rules, Mirage, Polish webP, HTTP/2, HTTP/3, CF Workers (i.e. custom/advanced caching) etc
  2. segment 2 - connection between CF edge server and your origin i.e. Argo, Railgun & Full SSL/ECDSA SSL certificates (below)
  3. segment 3 - your origin server’s performance/optimisations i.e. web server, PHP, MySQL server optimisations.

Segment 1 includes factors related to your web site/wordpress theme design and layout as well which Cloudflare features may help with i.e. CDN cache, modification, Polish webP, Mirage, HTTP/2 & HTTP/3 etc.

Polish webP is a big one to reduce your image sizes. In future CF will probably add to Polish support for newer AVIF image format too with even smaller images sizes. See https://netflixtechblog.com/avif-for-next-generation-image-coding-b1d75675fe4

You can use Webpagetest.org to troubleshoot and test page speed overall. See Performance Tutorials - Google PageSpeed & Webpagetest.org and my How to use Webpagetest guide at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/how-to-use-webpagetest-org-for-page-load-speed-testing.13859/

You may be limited by the type of web hosting your origin server uses to optimize for segment 2 and 3 though as you may need a server with root/VPS/dedicated server access to make changes as shared web hosting won’t have permissions for you to make changes that affect segment 2 and 3

Some of these include segment 2 and 3 optimizations by ensuring to use Cloudflare Full SSL instead of Flexible SSL and having your origin support HTTPS with SSL certificate using the more performant ECC 256bit SSL certificates (ECDSA) instead of traditional RSA 2048bit SSL certificates on your origin server and making sure your origin server support TLSv1.3 protocol so that CF edge server communicates over ECDSA with TLSv1.3 with your origin. See example I posted for my Centmin Mod LEMP stack users https://community.centminmod.com/threads/improving-cloudflare-connections-to-origin-server-use-ecdsa-ssl-certs.14817/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.