Websockets not working when using Orange Cloud

Hello,

I use an admin panel software (that I self host) to log into my server through a webpage and control/edit things (think Pterodactyl Panel for gaming)

Long story short, the site uses websockets and I’ve been troubleshooting trying to figure out why they do not work. When using DNS Only (Gray cloud) the websockets work as intended, but when proxying (orange cloud) the websockets do not work.

Directly connecting to the IP/Port and completely bypassing Cloudflare also works as intended.
I have a feeling it might have something to do with my SSL cert, but I have gone though all of those settings in the SSL/TLS tab and turned them all on/off, so I’m at a loss.

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have web sockets enabled?
It would be under https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/network

Yes, that setting is enabled

What error do you see in the browser console when the socket tries to connect? Does it timeout or error out?

It doesn’t look like an error but:
"opened WebSocket connection: "
Then "Closed WebSocket "

The software devs helped me fix the issue.
Thank you.

What was the issue?

I wish I could say for sure, but it was either I needed to wait longer for the SSL settings on Cloudflare to take full effect, or the software update they released today fixed the issue completely.

I’m willing to bet it was the update, but since I’ve tried so many things in the last couple of days to troubleshoot, I’m not really certain.

Thank you for your help though

1 Like