Websites On Raspberry Pi

Answer these questions to help the Community help you get started.

What is the domain name?
calinski.cc

Have you searched for an answer?
Yes, for days

Please share your search results url:
This comes closest but links are broken:

Blockquote

[SORRY, I TRIED TO INSERT A LINK HERE USING THE LINK ICON ABOVE BUT WHEN I TRIED TO CREATE I WAS TOLD TO USE PREFORMATTED TEXT. WHEN I TRY THAT I GET THE SAME MESSAGE SO I DELETED THE LINK]

Blockquote

When you tested your domain using the [Cloudflare Diagnostic Center
[I ALSO HAD TO DELETE A LINK HERE WHICH IS IN A SECTION CREATED BY THIS FORUM], what were the results?

I didn’t get that far.

Describe the issue you are having:
There is just too much conflicting information out there. Much of it obsolete.

What error message or number are you receiving?
NA

What steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

1. Lots of searching.

Was the site working with SSL prior to adding it to Cloudflare?
Didn’t get that far.

What are the steps to reproduce the error:

1. NA

Have you tried from another browser and/or incognito mode?
NA

Here is my problem. I have two existing websites hosted on my Raspberry Pi. One, the high priority one is what I use to operate my Home Automation System.
The other is a “family” kind of thing that I started back in the early 1990s by just typing the html into notepad.

I am using Apache2 with Virtual Hosts. The HAS site uses websockets.

I have started into Cloudflare and it seems I will be moving my URLs to Cloudflare. I am concerned that I may do something that will trash my work and can’t be undone.
Is there a link that I can be pointed to that is pertinent to my situation?

I would google and see if there are blog posts of peopling running the services that you are with Cloudflare.

1 Like

I have been doing that for days.
I finally decided I couldn’t find the answer so I came here, “to the horse’s mouth”

May I ask if:

1. You’ve got hard-coded links inside the Website code of your 1990s to the IPs instead domain URLs?
  2. Your websites are working with a valid SSL certificate without HTTPS error in Web browser? Or only HTTP for now?
  3. Regarding HAS and Websockets, it should be either HTTP and ws or HTTPS and wss with WebSockets enabled at Cloudflare dashboard if proxied :orange: , therefore not sure if you’re using some kind of a proxy or not on RPi to make sure the Websocket requests work?
  4. If it’s RPi from the home network, which ports are you using? Or you’r going to expose it locally by using cloudflared Tunnel? (or maybe that’s a bit more farther thing to ask at the moment because I am not sure how familiar are you with the possibilities which we could go with to help you)

One thing is for sure, in case if something wouldn’t work as expected, you can always set that hostname (DNS record) to unproxied :grey: (DNS-only) and in the meantime with providing feedback and troubleshooting steps, I believe we could determine what’s wrong and what’s right and how to fix it, hopefully, to make it work with proxied :orange: at the end.

2 Likes

Thankk You,
I will try to answer these.
#1 I have both. I can clean it up later. No big deal.

#2 I didn’t get an SSL certificate because I thought it might create a conflict with Cloudflare. Should I get one?

#3 I hope I understand this question. My structure so far is 5 HTML webpages each paired with a python script. The script gets and sends messages via mqtt to various devices. It also sends and gets messages from the HTML page via mqtt. All are HTTP. I really don’t know how they work. I just copied things from a lot of other sites and kept experimenting until it all worked. Sorry.

#4 I have 5 ports. On the Raspberry Pi, One for HTTP, one for websockets, one for mosquitto, and another as an alternative to the HTTP port. The fifth port is for a camera and is not part of anything else.

It isn’t clear to me about Tunnels or other methods.

Note. Every HTML page includes the following two lines:

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/paho-mqtt/1.0.1/mqttws31.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
src = "https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js"></script>

I have no idea what they do except make it work.

Thanks for responding.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.