Website Ownership Part II

Hi, I had this discussion with SJR about the ownership of a club website, Sadly this topic has been closed…

Perhaps this is the topic?

To answer the questions from 14th April.
Hi SJR,

Yes, he passed away about three years ago.

I doubt very much his widow has his email details, I believe she is not IT literate, plus i think it would be awkward to contact her after such a long period.

He did have children, but we have no contact with them, nor any contact with his widow, so again, awkward/difficult to contact them.

Yes, this is a hobby/club site where the club would like to keep the website runnng with the same domain name past March 2025.

It does use PHP (which is a pain).

I do have credentials to access to the site via ftp.bonchestermfc.co.uk, so not sure if you can trace this to a host?

This is all i know about the site, so it would be good to get the domain name and ownership sorted first and then we can worry about who is hosting the site later.

Regards

Tim.

That leads to DigitalOcean. If you can log in there with those credentials you should have access to the site source code.

dig +short ftp.bonchestermfc.co.uk
root@origin:/var/www/sjr-cf/html-sjr-cf-dev# whois 178.62.112.193
% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See https://apps.db.ripe.net/docs/HTML-Terms-And-Conditions

% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '178.62.0.0 - 178.62.127.255'

% Abuse contact for '178.62.0.0 - 178.62.127.255' is '[email protected]'

inetnum:        178.62.0.0 - 178.62.127.255
netname:        DIGITALOCEAN-LON-1
descr:          DigitalOcean London
admin-c:        PT7353-RIPE
tech-c:         PT7353-RIPE
mnt-by:         digitalocean
mnt-lower:      digitalocean
mnt-routes:     digitalocean
created:        2014-04-07T06:16:03Z
last-modified:  2015-11-20T14:45:50Z
source:         RIPE

person:         DigitalOcean Network Operations
address:        101 Ave of the Americas, FL2
address:        New York, NY, 10013
address:        United States of America
phone:          +13478756044
nic-hdl:        PT7353-RIPE
mnt-by:         digitalocean
created:        2015-03-11T16:37:07Z
last-modified:  2022-08-23T13:31:16Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered
org:            ORG-DOI2-RIPE

As mentioned in the previous post, someone is paying for the domain name renewal through Cloudflare somehow. I guess due to time that has passed the deceased’s card would have been cancelled by now, so someone associated with your site should be getting a charge from Cloudflare, the last as mentioned before was in February this year.

1 Like

I can access the source at that ftp location.
This is the site host?
I presume I will need to contact them to see if there are charges/fees associated with them hosting the data?

I have spoken with the club treasurer and he sees no outgoings from the clubs funds.
The scary thing then is, if there was a payment made in February 2024… we will have to contact the widow to ensure she is not paying this unknowingly….
Are you able to tell me how much the fee was?
I guess this is yearly and this takes us to March ‘24?

I presume I will have to contact you again using the link as I did tonight, as it will be more than 2 days before I can get some answer back to you?

Regards
Tim.

Hi @dinnae.bother.me sorry for the issues.

As you have correctly determined, access to the site & hosting provider is one of the issues to resolve and it seems @sjr has pointed you in the proper direction. That is not something with which Cloudflare can assist.

The other issue to solve is the registry of the domain, assuming the domain registration was done by the deceased, that is something that the Cloudflare Support team can assist. In order to reach Support, can you create an Account ticket using the account you created here and share your ticket number? You can open an Account ticket here, https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/support

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.