Website is lost somewhere between Cloudflare and Bluehost

I purchased a business and their website 5 years ago. I had it transferred to Bluehost which doesn’t seem to every have happened.

Whois says the site is pointing to Cloudflare

Cloudflare doesn’t show it and says the recored is “locked”

I am attempting to fix DNS for the site but it is not in Bluehost, there is no C-panel in Bluehost, and I have not been paying Bluehost.

I have also not been paying Cloudflare and have never received any bills. My website has worked flawleesly for over 5 years but I need to fix this issue and do not mind paying Cloudflare if that is who is hosting.

Can support help me get this straigh so I can add the site to my account, pay the fees associated with hosting, and fix the DNS

Cloudflare is not the hosting provider.

Can you share the name of the domain?

Is the “it” the hosting or the domain name itself?

Cloudflare has a free plan and that is the plan of choice for a lot of our customers. It’s odd, you should be paying someone (a domain registrar) for the domain name and paying someone for the hosting of your site. There is not really a way around paying for those two services. I suspect following the money on that will tell you who is hosting the site. Whois will tell you the registrar for your site and you should know who that is to ensure you actually own the domain name.

2 Likes

www europeanautowerks com I found another person with a similar issue and the solution was: Did you use Bluehost’s Cloudflare integration for your site? If so, then it’s most likely that Bluehost has not released your domain from their Cloudflare setup. You’ll need to ask them to clear this.

1 Like

Also, I cannot add my domain to my account in cloudflare. If I could do this, I could probably fix everything. When I try to add it, it says it is locked and contact the registrar. That’s me but it isn’t locked in Bluehost. and Bluehost says it’s pointing to Cloudflare.

Thank you. Whois shows the details you’ve shared

Domain Name: EUROPEANAUTOWERKS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 61836909_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.fastdomain.com
Registrar URL: http://www.bluehost.com/
Updated Date: 2023-10-18T12:25:09Z
Creation Date: 2001-02-15T22:15:50Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2024-02-15T22:15:50Z
Registrar: FastDomain Inc.

If you run the whois command you’ll be able to find the name of the person associated with the domain, $ whois europeanautowerks.com and that appears to be you. From that, it looks like the domain name ownership was transferred to you but it’s not clear that the hosting control was moved to you (you’re not paying for it so that makes me suspect you don’t yet control hosting) and it’s not apparent to me that you were ever given control of the domain in the cloudflare dash.

That all sounds correct for sure. Would be nice to be able to have someone move some dials and have that moved into my account.

If you can contact the people from who you purchased the company they can add you to their dash to control the domain/assist you in moving it to an account you can control. But, you’ll need their help to do that.

Short of their help, you need to move those dials yourself by adding the domain to an account you control and changing the nameservers at your domain registrar to the two new ones in that account. (Ideally, you do this with the help of the people that control it now as there are records you need to recreate in the new account and only the people that control the account now can tell you the name and value of those records.)

I have given Bluehost all this information and after the 8th person over a weeks time, they went in and pointed the site to Bluehosts servers instead of Cloudflares. I will need to wait 0 to 8 hours and make sure everything takes affect.

1 Like

That will also work to remove the site from the other account. Keep an eye out on site performance as this change may result in issues like broken email, loss of redirects/security as it will no longer be behind cloudflare.

:crossed_fingers: for no unexpected outcomes!

1 Like

And of course now the website is down. :frowning: The pointed it to the bluehost servers and then Google Workspace had no problem verifying the account as soon as that happened.

Were you able to get it operational again?

They said we have to wait for the propagation to complete which could take 24hours.

1 Like

I can see the change in process, DNS Propagation Checker - Global DNS Testing Tool

You should keep an eye on the progress, it usually happen very quickly. And, as this change takes effect, look out for issues with SSL (site loading securely) and email (in case there are mail records that you’ll need to recreate).

Well Bluehost still made the site go down as they don’t have a clue what they are doing. I asked them to put the nameservers back to cloudflare but they don’t know what to put. I asked if they kept notes of what they changed, no luck. I don’t even have an acct. with cloudflare that has my site. I guess I will have to reach out to my company that built the site. Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone know the cloudlfare nameservers? Bluehost changed them and doesn’t know what to put them back to.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Leaving this here for reference

Public DNS history
https://securitytrails.com/domain/example.com/history/ns

Dashboard NS
https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns

Dashboard Audit Log
https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/audit-log