Website image takes 5 mins to load

So i signed up to Cloudflare 18 months ago and set up a domain name - mcgowan.house. Its worked flawlessly since then, until last weekend…

Things then ground to a stop and the background image now takes over 5 minutes to load!

The website is hosted at home on a raspberrypi and initially I thought it may have been an internal error on my network. However, I realised yesterday that turning off Cloudflare gives me super snappy downloads again so I believe the issue to be on Cloudflare

You can see it loads in 0.3s with Cloudflare off, but over 5 mins with it on!

I had the idea this morning to register a new domain - moccado.co.uk. I set this up in Cloudflare too and pointed it at the same webhost - it loads absolutely fine.
I then even deleted my mcgowan.house domain from Cloudflare and just reset it up with all the standard settings, but I still get the same issue with it loading extremely slowly.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please

Thank you very much

Could you try to serve it in a bit lower resolution? For example 1920x1080px and optimized through some tool like online tool TinyPNG, and see if any difference at all? :thinking:

Nevertheless, once cf-cache-status: HIT for it, after 14400 seconds (4 hours) of max-age, or upon refresh (F5) it loads pretty fast.

Hey

Thanks for your response.

I could indeed reduce the image size but the fact is that there is something wrong causing this so I need to fix the issue, not work around it.

How can the same page at www.moccado.co.uk but take 5 mins at www.mcgowan.house

The issue effects the whole McGowan.house domain which serves up my CCTV cameras and many other services, which are just unworkable at the moment.

Like I say, my settings on Cloudflare are now the same for both sites and they are hosted at the same place, so where can I look to try and resolve my issues?

Thank you

I am sorry to hear that :frowning:

Hm, if it’s not the origin host/server/web hosting and think something might be with Cloudflare edge, then kindly, I’d suggest you to write a ticket to Cloudflare support due to your account and/or domain issue and share the ticket number here with us so we could escalate this issue:

• Login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support by clicking on the Get More Help button. If you get automatic reply, reply and indicate to it you need more help and reference to this topic
  • Or send an an e-mail to support[at]cloudflare[dot]com from your e-mail associated with your Cloudflare account

Thanks for your reply.
Following your advice to open a ticket, I end up at a message stating;
" We are unable to find any suggestions based on the issue description you mentioned. However, consider asking your question on the Cloudflare Community. You can also view domain diagnostics on the Error Analytics page."

I have no option to request more help. Could this be as I am just on a free account?

Ill try the email option in the mean time

{Update} - Support ticket created via email is 2492662

Thank you

Thank you. I’ve escalated it. Kindly and patiently wait for a reply and further steps to find a solution to your case.

I’ve been using Cloudflare for around 18 months on my website - mcgowan.house

I had just set it up originally and it has always just worked… until last weekend.

On Sunday or Monday the website started to load extremely sluggish and for a few days I could not work out the reason why.

The site is hosted on a raspberry pi at my house and initially I had thought it to be an issue with my ISP or internal network. However, I was not able to get to the bottom of the issue.

After more testing I realised that accessing the website by its (external) IP resulted in it loaded instantly again (even on a 4g connection rather than home network). This led me to believe it maybe a Cloudflare issue.

I then logged into Cloudflare (probably for the first time in 18 months!) and chose to “Pause Cloudflare on site”. Voila - the website loads instantly again! However, re-enabling Cloudflare brings back the same issues.

In Chomes developer tools, with Cloudflare enabled, the background image takes over 5 minutes to load!!

However, when Cloudflare is off (and i disable cache in Dev Tools), its loading in 0.3s

Im unsure really what to try next… I can see there are no current Cloudflare issues and looking at my site in the Diagnostic Center does not show up any relevant issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Sorry this is a duplicate as I’ve posted at Website image takes 5 mins to load - #4 by fritex after this message was initially marked as spam and hidden. Please feel free to remove or merge. Thank you

What I noticed is, that when proxied through it gets downloaded in little steps with the HTTP 206 code (partial download). Which ofc is weird. I don’t have an answer for, how to resolve that, but seems like the connection between Cloudflare and your rPi is the problem.

To solve the whole problem and all other problems, please try to use Cloudflare Pages. Your ‘Site’ just exists of one single picture and therefore is 100% static, where I always would recommend using Cloudflare Pages. The Data then don’t need to be served from your homeconnection, which anyway is bad.

It’s free and hasslefree - give it a try.

Thanks for your message

In the mean time since posting this I have added a second domain to Cloudflare - moccado.co.uk

This connects to the exact same host as McGowan.house in all the same ways, and all Cloudflare settings are the same. However, moccado.co.uk loads instantly but McGowan.house stil takes 5 mins.

Unfortunately I can not do this. Although you only see a single static webpage, that’s just used to show my issue. There are also CCTV cameras, home automation systems and other systems available through the domain on Cloudflare which are all ground to a halt!

I don’t really know where to turn next…

Thank you

Thank you for this.
I did receive a message a while after opening it saying it was closed as I wasn’t a paying customer.

Would your escalation open this back up and allow me to get support?

Kind regards

Thank you for asking.

Yes, it would.

As stated, I’ve escalated it to Cloudflare Support team.

The notification you’ve got is about the fact I merged your two topics about the same issue, into this one original from you.
Therefore, the tech. team from Cloudflare can inspect and gather more information faster than searching and looking into for both topics :wink:

Scrolling is easier nowadays, at least for me :slight_smile:

Thank you for patience

2 Likes

I am terribly sorry to bump this, but I have heard nothing from Cloudflare as I don’t think the support ticket was “reopened”.
I’ve placed a new ticket though as I’m currently a paying member.
However, if anyone has any other suggestions for what I can try It would be appreciated as I’ve struggled with this load time for a few weeks now

Thank you