Website and emails don't work with new DNS nameserver settings on Cloudflare

Our domain name is using Cloudflare’s DNS servers.

We have been trying to forward our domain name to Sedo Parking using their CNAME method. (We can’t use their regular DNS method because we need to be able to access email addresses for this domain name.)

We found the Sedo Parking CNAME and A records here:

https://sedo-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3527/kw/cname/search/1

We added the CNAME and A record details to our Cloudflare DNS nameservers as follows:

However, the URL doesn’t work any more. It states:

“Error 520 Ray ID: 62d4ec4bbab706c1 • 2021-03-09 14:16:46 UTC Web server is returning an unknown error”

Neither do the POP emails for this domain name in Outlook 2019 Desktop or any other email reader:

“Task ‘[email protected] - Receiving’ reported error (0x800CCC1A) : ‘Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.’”

Both the URL and email addresses were working perfectly when the nameservers had everything going to our webhost. However since we tried to send the domain name’s URL to SedoParking with the new CNAME and ‘A’ record settings, both the ‘website’ and email addresses have stopped working.

We haven’t changed the MX or TXT records.

The domain name has been registered, approved and configured by Sedo for parking.

What are we doing wrong with the Cloudflare DNS settings to Sedo Parking please?

Thanks a million. I’m grateful for your assistance.

Try setting ‘www’ to DNS Only :grey: by editing that record and clicking on the :orange:.

I also suggest that you replace your ‘mail’ CNAME with an “A” record with the .135 IP address, and make sure ‘mail’ is also DNS Only.

3 Likes

I just wanted to say a huge thank you sdayman. You’ve been very helpful in the past as well.

I’ve tried what you’ve suggested and hopefully the website and email should start working again.

1 Like

Both the email and website now work thanks to your brilliant advice!

I turned the DNS Only to ‘off’ (not proxied), as per your advice (from orange to gray cloud). However, that was showing the end website (which is a domain parking page) as ‘unsecure’. Therefore, to have Cloudflare’s SSL certificate making it ‘secure’ I set the DNS to ‘on’. Now the DNS settings are as follows:

The domain name’s URL is now showing as having a ‘secure’ SSL.

Is it OK to have the DNS only to ‘on’ like this, as proxied, or could it cause problems?

Are the other DNS settings alright now as far as you can see please?

Thank you.

As you’re not really running a website, DNS-Only is fine.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.