WebP Images for Siteground user

Hi, Website is hosted by Siteground on the GrowBig plan - a shared server. They do not allow any change to the NGIX config file, therefore I cannot upload a plugin that reformats images to WebP. I have read that Cloudflare supports WebP images. Looking for more information. I am on a free Cloudflare plan - cant spend too much so please add what my options could be AND whether I can use this solution whilst on a shared server with SiteGround.

Polish converts images to WebP automatically if the browser supports it. This does not require any setup at your provider or server. This requires the Cloudflare Pro plan.

Thankyou, however I am still cautious that by being on a group server and not a single use platform; that this capability will be possible. Are there any other users of Siteground that are using Polish ? And when I asked SG for advice; they told me I had to wait till my server is upgraded - they failed to recommend Cloudflare Polish - there must be a reason for not advising Cloudflare especially when they have a solid relationship with Cloudflare.

Polish has nothing to do with the type of server you’re on. If you’re on the free plan, your images are Cached by Cloudflare. Polish just makes a WebP copy of the cached image for browsers that can display WebP images.

1 Like

ok, so all images are on Cloudflare, I understand. So as a Siteground customer; if I choose to upgrade Cloudflare plan (via my SG admin panel) to PREMIUM $11.95+GST is that allowing Polish WebP formatted images (and if so; is there a maximum limit of images?) OR Do I click through the option on Cloudflare website IMAGE RESIZING For Additional Requests option at $10/month plan??? Furthermore; I can I ask do I need to ensure this is placed in my root directory? Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,/;q=0.8
*** Last question: Im planning to upload the plugin “Product Video for WooCommerce” form Addify. Will this be an issue if I use Polish ??

If you want to use a Cloudflare integration offered by SiteGround, you’ll have to ask them for clarification on how to configure the features you want.

Polish only does two things: Compress JPG and PNG Images if possible, and convert them to WebP if appropriate. I’ve never seen Polish interfere with anything.

Thankyou :slight_smile:

Hello, I asked Siteground tech support - they are not familiar of what is required ! Which doesn’t surprise me - SITEGROUND tech support is not very helpful at the best of times.
Can you please send me a link of what server requirements needed for Polish Cloudflare module to work.

Just another thought… I know I have GD and Imagik and also rewrite codes & expiries enabled on my root directory as they had confirmed this prior when I enquired for about another WebP conversion plugin… they however were not able to change the NGIX configuration to accept WebP. I presume that is due to their caching - if the caching is sorted now by Cloudflare - I just need to have you guys tell me what SG need to do (again - they have no idea)

Hi,

All my sites run on Siteground shared servers. Two of them have Polish enabled. It all works fine.

As for needing to change the server configuration for a plugin to convert images to WebP, you certainly are not talking about WordPress, are you? Because even Siteground’s own optimization plugin for WordPress will do this conversion (as will many other image optimization plugins) without the need for any server config changes.

Anyway, as long as you manage to have the images converted to WebP at your server (or otherwise uploaded pre-converted images), you will be able to have them cached and served by Cloudflare even on its Free Plan. If properly configured, only visitors with WebP-compatible browsers will get the WebP version, while others will get the JPG/PNG equivalent images.

On a paid plan, as has been said, you go with Polish, simple. For that to work on a Cloudflare Free Plan, you need to inline (important!) a JavaScript that will (1) test for the browser’s compatibility with WebP, then (2) rewrite image URLs as needed for non-compatible browsers.

On a WordPress installation, you can add the Ewww Image Optimizer plugin, set WebP optimization, JS Rewriting Rules, and Lazy Loading, and you should be good to go. (There may be other plugins that do the same, please search the WordPress plugin repository.) Your HTML pages will then include the needed inline JS, most browsers will get the WebP version of the images, and the few non-compatible browsers will get the JPG/PNG files instead.

On a non-WordPress setup, you just need to follow the same logic. In the case of the Ewww plugin, it includes both the JS code and a tiny, invisible WebP image that is used for the testing. But you could also test based on user-agent.

2 Likes

I have the pro plan - Polish is activated.
Siteground had assisted to check further, they have redirected the DNS which is now active. Compression is now working. However its not being loaded. I am told now by Siteground that I have to install a plugin one that will redirect all URL’s so to execute the webP images through to browser - this doesnt make sense… Honestly this is getting too technical now. I fear to have to redirect all URL’s - what would this do to page speed, what about my current re-direciton plugin in use which takes care of a few re-directions that I have on my pages … ie. redundant old pages redirected ect
Any further ideas from Cloudflare Techs? shouldnt this just be automatic via Polish??
Here is a URL - you can see the picture content is converted to WebP, its delivery is not active to browser…
Request URL: https://foreverandagainbridalandbeauty.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/C00452-1.jpg
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 200 (from memory cache)
Remote Address: 35.213.154.214:443
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade
accept-ranges: bytes
cache-control: max-age=31536000
content-length: 68723
content-type: image/jpeg
date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:21:33 GMT
etag: “10c73-57ff390a3fd00”
expires: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 12:21:33 GMT
host-header: b7440e60b07ee7b8044761568fab26e8
last-modified: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 08:22:44 GMT
server: nginx
x-proxy-cache: MISS

Hi Thank you for replying.
I have the pro plan - Polish is activated/ Siteground GrowBig (still on cpanel) and running wordpress. SG are helping oversea - despite giving me many varied comments. The last; they are redirecting my DNS to CF and now show me that images are being compressed to WebP but I need to install a plugin to redirect all URL’s over to Cloudflare… its not making sense at this point… Cloudflare should just pick this up right?
I now fear if I have to redirect all URL’s - what would this do to page speed, what about my current re-direciton plugin in use which takes care of a few re-directions that I have on my pages … ie. redundant old pages redirected ect
Question:

• Any further ideas from Cloudflare perspective? shouldnt this just be automatic via Polish??
  • If your a SG member - and had purchased their CF Premium plan option - have you ticked the box for WebP images (whilst logged into SG - the CF setup) ?

Here is a URL - you can see the picture content is converted to WebP, its delivery is not active to any browser…

Request URL: https://foreverandagainbridalandbeauty.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/C00452-1.jpg
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 200 (from memory cache)
Remote Address: 35.213.154.214:443
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade
accept-ranges: bytes
cache-control: max-age=31536000
content-length: 68723
content-type: image/jpeg
date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:21:33 GMT
etag: “10c73-57ff390a3fd00”
expires: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 12:21:33 GMT
host-header: b7440e60b07ee7b8044761568fab26e8
last-modified: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 08:22:44 GMT
server: nginx
x-proxy-cache: MISS

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.