Web traffic impact of HSTS after cpanel's autossl error

I was enabled HSTS on before cpanel’s autossl error appeared. The cpanel ssl certificate expired and i tried many thing before disabling hsts (max age set: 6 months).
And now i fixed the ssl issues on the sites and subdomains but the visitor traffic dropped more than 90%. That might be caused by hsts. Many users wouldn’t open the site.
I think the hsts has an impact on this . Should i have to wait 6 months to resolve the issue?
How to fix that?

Renewing SSL might be difficult, but you can try to disable Always Use HTTPS option at Cloudflare so cPanel AutoSSL would be able to establish the HTTP connection (if it’s using this kind of a method for renewing the SSL certificate) and renew it successfully.

Otherwise, if you are getting notifications for renewing SSL certs, I’d suggest you to take one day lately at evening/night, temporary switch the DNS records at Cloudflare from :orange: to :grey: (DNS-only) - remember which one you did, wait for a few minutes, then start the process of renewing cPanel AutoSSL certificate. Upon success, switch them back.

Other way is to:

1. Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com .
  2. The link is in the lower right corner of that page.
  3. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS without any error
  4. Check with your hosting provider / cPanel AutoSSL and renew it
  5. Only then, when your website responds over HTTPS, you should un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

If you had HSTS enabled at Cloudflare, you could disable it and it stops sending this header in a moment.
But the web browsers of your visitors/users do remember accessing your website only through HTTPS for a duration which you set (6 months) at cPanel.

Sharing some usefull posts from my colleagues about this:

Useful articles:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.