WARP client - Windows - Ignoring DNS of WARP - Bug?

The prob seems to be the same as reported a year back (closed) here: DNS leak with WARP

BUT, this is new 26/5/22…

Basically, WARP is not doing the resolving, but if flicking resolution over to win10 eth config

– I’m using WFC v6.8.1.0 firewall to test the various hypothii
– Set DNS of win10 via eth card to anything else (such as AdGuards 94.140.14.14 and15.15). Poke firewall rules to allow traffic
– Set up fresh WARP client. Poke firewall holes for 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 port 53
– WARP client is ON (connects SYD)

OK. This is where it gets weird.

– Using cmd (or powershell)… ping something novel such as foo.com
– Comes back with IP and ping
– BLOCK firewall to AdGuards DNS.
– Ping something novel example.com
– NADA. No resolution.
– Turn off firewall (or change rule to ALLOW) and it resolves… WTF!!!
– Next, check log. Yep, from step above for foo.com the svchost.exe DNSCache wants to get to AdGuards IP’s

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE if WARP is a VPN and (should be) intercepting ALL the traffic (inc DNS)?

i.e. WARP is leaking ALL DNS requests to use the OS and sending them via svchost which is a Very Bad Thing.

I note that in the WARP client that Preferences–>Connection–>DNS protocol is now set to HTTPS rather than WARP. (it used to be warp, from memory). Upon selection of WARP as the protocol is is ignored and flips/changes it back to https as soon as a different menu-preference is chosen.

This is the result of a nslookup with WARP ON
PS C:\Users\nobody> nslookup foo.com
Server: dns.adguard.com
Address: 94.140.14.14

Obviously NOT what we want… seems to be a bug.

NOTE: I’ve tried this in all permutations to confirm the behaviour - with the firewall on/off, rules on/off, WARP on/off and setting the Eth dns to 1.1.1.1 (which works, but isn’t what we want).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.