Does WARP provide an anonymous browsing experience, preventing a website from tracking a user by IP address?
There appear to be contradictory statements by Cloudflare on this question. First, consider the following which imply that WARP hides the user’s original IP address…
Does WARP reveal my IP address to websites I visit?
- No. 18.104.22.168 + WARP replaces your original IP address with a Cloudflare IP that consistently and accurately represents your approximate location. This happens regardless of whether the site is on the Cloudflare network or not.
- Date: Updated 1 month ago
22.214.171.124 + WARP: More features, still private
- We just rolled out a major update to the service that powers WARP that will give you a geographically accurate browsing experience without revealing your IP address to the websites you’re visiting. Instead, websites you visit will see a Cloudflare IP address instead, making it harder for them to track you directly.
- Date: 08/06/2022
Second, consider these apparently conflicting statements….
126.96.36.199 with WARP
- WARP does not provide anonymity and is not designed to prevent servers you communicate with from identifying you.
- Date: Updated 2 months ago
Why is my public IP address sometimes visible?
- Cloudflare WARP Client in WARP mode was meant to ensure all your traffic is kept private between you and the origin (the site you are connecting to), but not from the origin itself. In a number of cases, if the origin site you are communicating with can’t determine who you are and where you’re from, they can’t serve locale relevant content to you. Sites inside Cloudflare network are able to see this information. If a site is showing you your IP address, chances are they are in our network. Most sites outside our network (orange clouded sites) however are unable to see this information and instead see the nearest egress colo to their server.
- Date: Updated 1 day ago
So, what is the definitive answer to this question: Does WARP provide an anonymous browsing experience, preventing a website from tracking a user by IP address?