WAF-blocked countries causing spam filter triggering

May I ask how did you done that?
Are you using some kind of a tool or a service installed on your origin host, which would check and prevent the IPs trying to connect from other countries (like GeoIP, MaxMind, etc.)?
Which if yes, might result the e-mail server from someone else cannot connect to your MTA on your server because your server is refusing them (blocking).

For example, having Imunify360 installed on a VPS or a dedicated server, we have an feature so we can restrict countries from connecting to our server.
Therefore, if for example I blocked Australia and few more like Germany, etc., while my server is located in the US.
It would mean, noone and neither from some [email protected] domain, who’s server is in Australia or Germany (determined by the IP of the connection) and using e-mail from the same location (Country), the request couldn’t connect to my server as it’s restricted only to the US.
Therefore, the “ceo” from that business or a company should (and could) have sent the e-mail to your e-mail [email protected] via some of the e-mail provider from the US like Gmail, Microsoft or others, which would normally pass.

Or you’re blocking the access to those sites using Cloudflare and Firewall Rules? :thinking:

It sounds to me like it’s exactly what I described in the above example, or I am wrong? :thinking:

Otherwise, you might have some issues with receiving and/or sending e-mails via your domain while using Cloudflare? :thinking:

Might be you’re missing SPF or DKIM/DMARC.

May I suggest checking below article if your e-mail records (usually the A mail and the MX record) are configured properly while you are using Cloudflare for your domain name:

I would also recommend looking into the below article due to further prevention of your e-mails being marked as a SPAM at the recipient’s side:

Except, if you’re using Cloudflare Firewall Rules and then those visitors/users whom click on those links from the e-mail footer, cannot open it and see an error like 1020?

I am not aware of and not sure if that is possible with CF WAF :thinking:
As it seems to me, CF WAF shouldn’t have something to do with e-mails.

Might be I haven’t understood it correctly what the issue is here.
Kindly and patiently wait for another reply.

1 Like