W3 Total Cache Pro + Cloudflare Extension vs Two separate entities

Hi everyone! First of all I want to say thank you to all contributors on this forum - much obliged.

I actually have two separate questions regarding to Cloudflare performance. We are running Cloudflare Pro w/ recommended settings.

1. The W3 Total Cache plug-in has a ‘Cloudflare extension’. Do you see any benefits of running Cloudflare through this extension versus just managing it here through Cloudflare com? Currently we are doing the latter and they both seem to be doing their job.

2. Speed Opti - would you recommend activating the “Image resizing” even though we are using a third party plug-in for this (Imagify pro)? Also, we have the “ Polish ” setting deactivated, but perhaps this could be beneficial as well? Or am I getting this wrong… in that Imagify does not serve the same purpose as these two settings?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

• A

Greetings! :slight_smile:

I like this one too :+1:

Yes, when you have to Purge Cache from WordPress.
I always configure/connect it via W3TC exntension. Works perfectly fine, both on Free or Pro plan (depending on the website I use).

Mostly, I manage all the things from Cloudflare dashboard directly despite the fact of having my domain(s) connected through W3TC extension - again, mostly used and could say only for Purging Cache when something does not trigger, somehow or somewhat, or need the fast “clear cache” but the cached webpage (Page Cache) version is still at Cloudflare while I need the new one as fast as possible.

I am not familiar with this plugin, but could be I am wrong here, WordPress by default does image resizing - but not on the fly, rather “crop” to smaller sizes if they are defined and using/displaying them when and where needed (either using srcset attribute, etc.).

I haven’t tried Image resizing yet.
And, I see it’s now available on a Pro plan too. I remember only the thing back a while ago when it was possible, but required Business plan. So, cannot tell as I do not have any experience using it up for now :slight_smile:

Back a while ago on one domain, I remember it was available only at Business plan:

Now, I see on another domain using Free plan, it’s available on a pro Plan too:

I think I should try it out :wink:

Just in case, for any help, the docs are here:

I keep it activated with Lossy and WebP checked including the Mirage option (and other available from Pro plan) too for the case of my website traffic mostly comes from mobile and as far as I have had mostly jpg and png images, they are being served in a modern format and optimized as a WebP that way to the end users - visitors of my website :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, Fritex. Helpful post. :slight_smile: However, it leaves me with a couple of questions - when using Polish and Image resizing through Cloudflare. Are we saving bandwith and load stress from the origin server or only the Cloudflare users? (We have a big problem with our webhosting having a bad server capacity… even on “their best plan”)

I belive yes it does help and save bandwidth.

Even I think, as long as you see at least some difference per day in the Cloudflare dashboard for “Total data served” vs “Data cached”.

For example, if you use Edge Cache TTL and Browser Cache TTL, even with in combination of Cache Level: Cache Everything option.

Because, therefore meaning the requests does not have to go straight back again to the server itself, rather being served from Cloudflare (cf-cache-status: HIT) for the specific time if set correctly.

My example from below, using W3TC and it’s Page Cache (serving .html pages, but with some garbage refresh after 10-15mins), have the Cache Level: Cache Everything and Origin Cache Control: On for my domain.
Therefore, configured cache at my origin so Cloudflare just accepts and respects it “as-is”.

It’s actually more than a half in total when I compare it.

And, it helps a lot as far as the resources do not change so often (despite the .html webpages), so they are cached at the Cloudflare Edge and served from it (especially when my 92% of users comming from mobile, and images have to be in a good quality).

It could be a bit difficult to setup at first, but as far as seen, working perfectly so far so good for my needs :slight_smile:

In terms of this combination, I used below article for a bit help, despite the Page Rules configuration and W3TC settings to achieve better results and as much benefit as I could from it.

Nevertheless, haven’t tried Image Resizing with it, so I have to test that out first and I believe I could write back here with some results, if interested.

Of course, some settings could depend on the origin host / server and possibilities, like if you can install memcached, redis, etc. if using a VPS or a dedicated server, or rather using some shared web hosting which can be limited in such terms, if so.

May I ask in terms of disk space, or monthly bandwidth or something else?
Did you have a possibility to test the same or even better setup on some different hosting provider maybe yet, or planning to?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.