W3 Total Cache Does Not List Cloudflare in List of CDNs

Attempting to configure Cloudflare use with WordPress W3 Total Cache plugin and seeing that in the W3 Total Cache plugin CDN settings, Cloudflare is not listed, though Cloudflare touts total integration. Perhaps true, but the latest 2.2.1 of W3 Total Cache change log shows:

V2.2.1 * Fix: Cloudflare: Removed use of the retired ip_lkup V1 endpoint

1. Is this perhaps why Cloudflare now doesn’t show in their list of available/compatible CDNs?
  2. Is there an alternative to integrating the two?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

You should find Cloudflare under “Extensions” tab of W3TC settings page in WordPress.

Unfortunately, you cannot host files at Cloudflare (yet), despite Cloudflare Images & Stream, until Cloudflare R2 Storage is available:

There is a recent Tweet about this upcoming beta feature in Q2 2022:

Until then, I’d suggest you to host your files on some public bucket.

You can try for example with BackBlaze B2 Storage or BunnyCDN or KeyCDN.
If using Backblaze B2 Storage, create account and a bucket, upload it there and connect your custom domain with your B2 bucket, therefore setup a Page Rule for caching at Cloudfalre for that particular resource.

Cloudflare acts as a Pull CDN, like most others, so when a file is requested for the first time, it is loaded in the cache. Subsequent requests will come from the cache until that item expires or is evicted for lack of use until the next request. You’re certainly welcome to use any other service that suits you best.

Helpful information for better understanding of how Cloudflare CDN works can be read at the article from below:

1 Like

MVP is soooooo appropriate here. Thank you very much @fritex for such a completely complete and amazing response.

Hah! Being new to Wordpress, Cloudflare, W3 Total Cache, and the lot, I didn’t even think to look down, down, down in the left column for “Extensions” under W3 Total Cache - Performance. Ahhh, there you are!

Thanks again, and I will take full advantage of the advice and knowledge resources you’ve shared. 100 STARS!

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.