Using cloudflare registrar & given nameservers and now my whole domain is down

what the ■■■■ is going on

!!! I need my emails!

not quite happy about this, I think I read the instruction thoroughly enough… when I do “recheck” in the overview section, I always got the same message

“nameservers are already being re-checked. You may only submit a re-check once per hour.”


I added the proper NS this morning around 8am EDT… it is now 10pm EDT…

should I just delete the NS records? if so, the documentation is not clear about this…

1 - I use cloudflare registrar

2 - I use the nameserver they specified in the DNS section

3 - I use cloudflare resolver ( via an online tool and get SERVFAIL all over the place

You haven’t posted your domain, so we can’t see what’s really going on. If Cloudflare is your registrar, you shouldn’t have to mess with name servers at all. NS records aren’t the way to set name servers for a domain at Cloudflare. They will be hard-coded into your domain. Open a Support Ticket and post the ticket # here. They should be able to reset your name servers if they’re incorrect.

Login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support by clicking on the Get More Help button.

perhaps this page is a bit misleading If I do not have to mess with nameserver at all

this is exactly what I did this morning should I delete it? from what I gather, adding an NS record does not change anything since as you mentioned, NS records aren’t the way to set name servers for a domain at Cloudflare…

I have to wait another 36 minutes to reply to this post. nice.

ah, forgot to blur my domain here… you got it

also this in the dns section is misleading

That’s interesting that the domain is not yet active on Cloudflare, yet Cloudflare is your registrar.

Still…contact Support. Something seems broken.

I did contact them… and linked this thread… their reply email may not reach me since you know… my mail server is down :slight_smile:

the tragedy in all this is I have 2 personal dns servers master/slave with dnssec perfectly functional that are doing the zone transfer via an ipsec tunnel and I cannot use them!!!

if you can ping them for me (support) I would greatly appreciate

[Cloudflare Support] 1885539

support reply below :

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting Cloudflare support. My name is ---------- and I will be looking into this ticket for you.
We’re sorry to read that you’re experiencing difficulties.

Cloudflare Registrar only supports transfers of domains that are active on Cloudflare. Active domains on Cloudflare use nameservers assigned by Cloudflare. When you transfer your registration, your nameservers will not be modified.

Your domain is currently not active on Cloudflare, that’s why Cloudflare cannot resolve your IP.

If you need to change nameservers to non-cloudflare nameservers, you would need to transfer your domain to another registrar.

You can find instructions for transferring your domain to another registrar here.

Please note: ICANN rules prohibit a domain from being transferred if it has been transferred within the last 60 days or if the WHOIS contact information was modified in the last 60 days (even if redacted).

Please do let us know if you have any further questions or issues by replying to this e-mail or ticket.

so the question is : how to make it active ( I reply to support already… how their email reach me is a mystery… my domain must be cached somewhere in cloudflare resolvers)

Maybe @cloonan can untangle this. Cloudflare is your registrar, but your domain DNS doesn’t work. And your domain isn’t active on Cloudflare. I’m not sure how that’s possible.

1 Like

anything helps at this point, thanks!

I will be happy if either (a) my domain resolves with cloudflare NS or (b) cloudflare let me use my own NS © let me move my domain to another registrar despite the ICANN rules

Interesting fact, verisign dns servers return the good value with a strange cookie warning

dig +short @ NS
;; Warning: Client COOKIE mismatch

“At their discretion, some registrars may provide an option for you to opt-out of this 60-day lock period”

please, I just want to be online again :slight_smile: