User Agent Blocking

I’d like to ban Grapeshot Crawler for not complying with my robots.txt rules. The user agent is shown as ‘Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; GrapeshotCrawler/2.0; +http://www.grapeshot.co.uk/crawler.php)’. In the user agent firewall rule, do I have to use that whole string, or can I shorten it to ‘grapeshot’ or ‘asterick grapeshotasterick’ where asterick = * ?

0 Likes

You can certainly create a Firewall Rule that blocks User Agents that contain grapeshot and that should do it.

1 Like

Thanks sdayman. Trouble is, I’ve already used up my five free firewall rules. I’d like to put this one under the section for User Agent Blocking, where I have not used any of the 10 free rules yet. User Agent Blocking doesn’t have the ‘contains’ option.

1 Like

Copy/paste the entire string for a UA blocking rule. That should do it. Watch your logs for any ‘changes’ in their UA string and block any that may appear using those possible stings. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you both!

2 Likes

Most welcome!

0 Likes

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes