Uptick in errors from beacon.min.js from mid-august

Starting on August 18, 2021, our error monitoring software picked up on a new error from Cloudflare’s beacon.min.js file located at https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js.

Over the next few days, the errors slowly started to tick upwards (I assume this is because of browser caching), eventually leveling out at a consistent number.
zN606Vc

It seems like Cloudflare pushed an update in mid-august to the analytics code that breaks on certain browsers. Below is the error we’ve been seeing:
Error: “j is not a function”
At: “{snip} on(){k&&0===m.filter(function(e){return e.id===v}).length&&j(),“hidden”===document.visibilityState&&!w&&S&&(w=!0,I(k))});var T={lcp:void 0,c {snip}”

Since the beacon code is minified, this doesn’t really help, but here is the line/character breakdown as well: “at line 1:4469”

If a Cloudflare engineer needs the entire private error report, including browser/device/version breakdowns, please let me know!

We’re having this problem as well. Any news on that?

Not that I know of. Really don’t know how something like this slipped through QA.

Same issue here. Since August 27, 2021 Sentry error logging shows a huge amount of JS errors caused by the beacon.min.js

Error:
TypeError
j is not a function

• /beacon.min.js in HTMLDocument.<anonymous> at line 1:4469

Happening mostly in Chrome and Edge browsers.

Above I posted that it’s mostly Chrome and Edge, but Safari reports the error slightly different:

j is not a function. (In ‘j()’, ‘j’ is undefined)

/beacon.min.js at line 1:4470

68K errors and counting. Error started firing on Aug 19, 2021 7:05:09 AM PDT

TypeError
j is not a function
/beacon.min.js in HTMLDocument.<anonymous> at line 1:4469

I un-minified https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js and j() is not defined anywhere. Does anyone know where this function is supposed to come from or what defines it? Maybe it’s just a minifier / uglyfier issue on their side?

I’ll get someone to look at this.

We’ve been experiencing the same issue. CloudFlare support has disabled Web Analytics for us and it helped. The errors stoped.

The team tells me that they know what’s happening and a fix is being rolled out. Apologies for the noise.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.