Updating the IP

Hi Community,

I went through the community Q/A and I think I know what needs to be done, but I want to make sure before I make the changes.

I stayed with the same host, but changed the hosting package from shared to the business cloud. They told me that the nameservers already point to the cloudflare. My understanding is that I only need to change the IP for content, mail, webdisk and etc - pretty much everything that shows the old IP under A. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @user78,

That sounds good to me! Just make sure all your DNS records are changed to point to your new server.

Yes, the only other thing you may need is if you have email with the same provider. If that has changed too, you may need to update your MX record(s) as well.

Hi @domjh
Thanks for your super fast response! Now I’m little confused about the “make sure all your DNS records are changed to point to your new host” part and I apologize if this sounds like a bad question. The only thing I see under the DNS in my Cloudflare account is the IP address that could be updated. Am I missing something here?

This is what it looks like, I removed the domain name

Regards

No problem!

The IP address does look like the only thing, as your MX record points to mail.domain.com. One thing I do notice is that the A record for mail is :orange:, that should be :grey: for email.

Only other thing I see is the IP address in your SPF (TXT) record at the bottom may need to be changed, but only if one of those IPs was your old server IP.

Thank you @domjh ,
I got it now. I did switch the email cloud part.

I believe the SPF (TXT) was automatically set. I’ll see what happens after I update the IPs

I appreciate your help!

OK, no worries. The SPF record defines which servers are allowed to send email from your domain. So if your new server is going to be sending any emails, you should add the IP there.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Changing DNS IP

Hi Community,

I just updated my hosting package, technically stayed with the same company, but switched from shared to business cloud. The host stated that my name servers already point to the cloudflare. My understanding is that I only need to change the IP , is that correct?

Thanks .

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.