Updated NS now blocking services

Hi all,

I’m new to using Cloudflare and yesterday I followed the setup guide to use Cloudflare as a barrier before accessing my website. It seems to have worked after changing my nameservers, and the website is still fully accessible externally.

The only problem is that I run a number of other services from the same IP address, primarily a home hosted VPN via Windows Remote Access Server and a few different game servers. None of these services are working when connecting via my domain name (which worked fine before updating the nameservers) but works fine if I use the direct IP - so the services themselves are OK, I suspect it’s on the DNS side of things.

Updated nameservers:
cesar.ns.cloudflare.com
malavika.ns.cloudflare.com

Is there any particular configuration that needs setting up on Cloudflare side that will allow those other services to work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nope, not DNS related. You simply can’t use VPN protocols or RDP*) via the proxies and will need to make sure you either connect to the IP address directly or to an unproxied hostname (:grey:).

*) Technically RDP will be supported via Cloudflare Access https://developers.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-one/applications/non-HTTP/RDP

1 Like

Ah, that’s makes sense. Thanks for the quick response!

It’s unfortunate that I can’t use my domain name for the other services.

Do you know if there is a way to disable proxy on certain DNS records, or do all records setup need to be proxied? I’m not seeing any option to change this in the DNS management section, only that proxy is enabled.

Thanks again for your help

Absolutely, you can toggle the proxy status for each record individually.

Actually none “needs” to be proxied. It really is up to you. Only thing, any unproxied record will “reveal” your server address. Can’t tell though if you consider this an issue.

Not sure what you mean by that. You disable it there as well.

I clicked a few buttons and it’s all working, thank you!

I’ve changed the DNS to disable proxy on my VPN record, that seems to have done the trick. I’ll play around with this a little more to find what works best for me.

Great. Just a couple more things, make sure your server only responds to Cloudflare addresses (at least for the web services which you plan to proxy, those which you access directly of course not) and that you rewrite IP addresses for web requests, as otherwise you’ll only have the proxy addresses in your logs.

Both is addressed in detail at support.cloudflare.com and also the forum here, plus check out #tutorials too, as that covers most initial questions as well. Once you set up everything you should be good to go. Of course, don’t forget to have your server properly secured with an HTTPS certificate too :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great, I’ll look into this a little more and make sure it’s properly configured.

Really appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.