"unusual rate of unsolicited mail originating4.7.28 from your DKIM domain"

Cloudflare Status - Email Routing deliverability issues is now marked as fixed, but I’m now (last 6 hours) seeing lots of these on the Email Routing activity log:

Delivery Failed

SPF status
pass

DMARC status
none

DKIM status
pass

Unknown error: transient error (421): 4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual rate of unsolicited mail originating4.7.28 from your DKIM domain [cloudflare-email.net 36]. To protect our4.7.28 users from spam, mail sent from your domain has been temporarily4.7.28 rate limited. For more information, go to4.7.28 Email sender guidelines - Google Workspace Admin Help to4.7.28 review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines. d14-20020a05651233ce00b00515d2ccf22fsi4493542lfg.499 - gsmtp

This is an inherent deficiency in email forwarding, especially when the destination is a popular large email provider.

The question to ask is, “How important is my email?” If the answer is “Not very,” you don’t need to do anything more than wait. If this domain email is important, moving it to a direct to MX solution without the forwarding will always yield more reliable results.

2 Likes

By wait do you mean till a particular e-mail comes through or till the problem resolves so that the next e-mail comes through though this one gets lost?

I think what @epic.network is saying is that Cloudflare Email Routing is an excellent service for emails that you don’t want to receive.

So you can just wait and not-receive a lot more emails, or you can change to a real mailbox service.

1 Like

I meant wait for it to work itself out. Of course that will only get you through until the next time Google (or another provider) decide that they aren’t willing to accept accept the email, so @Laudian’s take is not an unreasonable conclusion. :smirk:

These type of policy based forwarding delivery issues aren’t new. They have been going on for longer than Cloudflare Email Routing has existed and have affected it intermittently since it went live.

As long as there are spammers, these problems are not going away.

2 Likes

Do you know of any good solutions that uses Google’s own services, alleviating this problem.

All I can think of is Google Workspace since Google Domains is being deprecated. I’m currently using Google Domains and looking around for alternatives.

Google Domains is was just a domain registrar, not an email provider, so it isn’t even relevant to your question, considering that any registrar can be substituted in that role.

If you want domain email mailboxes on Google, their Workspace product is what they offer. You configure them with MX records at your email provider just like any other email provider. For outbound email authentication, you also will need to configure the appropriate DMARC, DKIM, and SPF records.

I’m not sure what you mean here? Google Domains provided a slim-down version of DNS management services, including their own MX and email routing. If you don’t need the frills of the third-party services, it was a perfect one-stop slimmed down domain host.

You configure them with MX records at your email provider just like any other email provider. For outbound email authentication, you also will need to configure the appropriate DMARC, DKIM, and SPF records.

I do understand all of that, and that seems to be the only “solution” to keep mail forwarding working reliably within Google’s network. I’ve been resistant … :face_with_diagonal_mouth: (heh, it would solve a couple of my others issues: getting a valid DKIM for GMail and Responding to events using my custom domain. lol)

I do also find it ironic and hilarious that Google doesn’t seem to be adhering to their own bulk sending guidelines as this blocked email is from Google’s own services!

Email forwarding to free consumer mailboxes has been dying for the last decade as more of the world adopts DMARC. For those who insist on using free Gmail with domain email, the only method that I have endorsed for the last ten years is POP polling. It usually has the added benefit of including an SMTP service that can DKIM sign for your domain.

1 Like

This happens to be one of my “pro” items for Google Workspace. :thinking:

1 Like

this is taking so much to resolve, its been already more than one month

You should definitely select a different service

1 Like