Understanding a CNAME Setup with Business Plan

Done, I would like to close this discussion.

Cloudflare provides two ways to setup your domain:

1. Full Setup - requires switching nameservers to Cloudflare ones
  2. CNAME (partial) Setup - you can retain your own nameservers provided by your registrar, or you run your own nameservers and you don’t want to switch your nameservers to Cloudflare ones. In this case, if you want to route traffic of a subdomain to Cloudflare, you need to create a CNAME record in your nameservers to point traffc to Cloudflare.

For example, you own example.com, you want to retain your existing nameservers. In this case, create a CNAME record for e.g. www.example.com, and points it to www.example.com.cdn.cloudflare.net.

.cdn.cloudflare.net is the endpoint used by Cloudflare so that customers who use CNAME setup can direct their traffic to Cloudflare using this way.

2 Likes

I assume you’ve done step 3 outlined at https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020615111 ?

Contact Cloudflare Support to request allowance of a CNAME setup for a specific domain. Mention CNAME setup for in the subject line

2 Likes

Thanks Eva,

I missed this step, let me do it and update in here.

Regards,

Bob

1 Like

You cannot setup the same subdomain with 2 value.

This A record will point subdomain to server ip, then inside that server, you have to setup virtual host for subdomain.

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.