Unable to use Shopify with my domain name due to previous Cloudlare account

I’m having trouble moving my website to Shopify as my previous host used Cloudflare’s services. Shopify also uses Cloudflare and their support says they get an error that my domain is already associated with Cloudflare services. I’ve contacted my previous host, Celerant, and they say they’ve removed my domain from their account. However, I’m still unable to get an SSL certificate generated by Cloudflare through Shopify. Shopify technical support says I have to contact Cloudflare to resolve this.

The domain is shopmineralogy.com

Ticket 2303224. Thank you

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hi @user11232,

The problem is that you’re not a Cloudflare customer directly and I presume you don’t have an account here with the domain in question. I would like to think that your old and new host could sort this between them and Cloudflare, given they have formal agreements with Cloudflare and access to support that you don’t have.

3 Likes

Hello, yes it’s a crappy situation. Thanks for the response. I’ll keep prodding the two hosts.

1 Like

Hi @domjh,

I have persisted with Shopify and unfortunately got nowhere past them saying I have to create a support ticket with Cloudflare. I’ve insisted that I’ve been informed free accounts do not have this access. I did some searching here and found a post with the same scenario. I’m pasting your reply below. How do I achieve this response?

"OK, sounds like something is stuck with an old SaaS config.

I’ll escalate this post for the attention of the Customer Support Team so they can get back to you here. If you have already contacted Support, please share your ticket number here so that they can track it."

Usually we have to escalate this if you are trying to get the domain working on a direct Cloudflare setup and can’t contact the old provider.

In this case, the final reply from a staff member is this:

Shopify should be able to get this sorted for you. I don’t understand why they would be refusing to help a customer and directing them to a company with who they have no relationship.

I’ll escalate your issue as I did with the previous one, but I’d imagine the answer will be to contact the two partners again.

Thanks @domjh, I do appreciate your help on this. I’m trying hard with Shopify and keep asking for a manager or escalation there through multiple contact methods:

Untitled

I think other people have had more luck going back to the old provider who used Cloudflare and didn’t properly remove your domain. Have you got in contact with them and asked them to remove the SSL for SaaS and Custom Hostname configuration for your domain?

The old provider claims they removed the SSL per my request. I am now asking again with the text you provided me as that’s more detailed. Thanks

1 Like

I’ve updated my escalation with that information and will see what comes back. Let us know if you manage to get it sorted with the old provider.

You would be correct.

If Shopify can’t get their product to work, they shouldn’t use Cloudflare. It’s like they don’t even know they have the ability to work this out with Cloudflare. Their response that they can’t reach Cloudflare on your behalf is an outright lie because as soon as a previous Cloudflare Partner removes a domain from their Cloudflare setup, Shopify’s next step would be to take over that domain’s Cloudflare configuration on your behalf.

1 Like

Haha I actually sent Shopify a screenshot of your graphic and message from another thread where a person had this same issue! Thank you for creating that.

2 Likes

Shopify Support has seen my posts before. I don’t think they appreciated them.

2 Likes

Hi @user11232,

We’ve been given some updated information on this. Posting it below for future people who find this topic.

I’ve already escalated your ticket from your first post on this.

Unfortunately the community is unable to assist you with issues such as this where an old provider used Cloudflare for SaaS. Please contact your old provider and ask them to remove any Cloudflare configurations for your domain, specifically SSL for SaaS / Custom Hostnames. If you previously used HubSpot, please ignore this and move to the paragraph below.

If you are unsure who the previous provider is or they say they are unable to help you, please email [email protected] with the subject Cannot remove custom host name and details of the issue. Once you’ve done that you’ll receive an automatic response with a ticket number. Please post that here so we can escalate it.