Unable to move domain between Cloudflare accounts. Can't change NameServers

I’m trying to transfer a domain from one Cloudflare account to another, but I can’t change the Name Servers on the old account.

How do I do this?

If this is a Cloudflare Registrar domain, they don’t yet offer that option. You would have to transfer the domain registration to another registrar.

2 Likes

This is not to change registrar, this is just so that the DNS settings can be controlled by another Cloudflare account. Sorry for the confusion.

@mikeysouthwell

If that’s the case, the doc attached by @sdayman is of help. Read the Transfer your Domain section

Hey NeilJay,

I already read through that before I posted this.

I’m on a free account so I can’t change the DNS servers.

Is there any other way to do this short of transferring away from the old Cloudflare account to a different DNS server provider eg. GoDaddy and then to the new Cloudflare account?

@mikeysouthwell

I assume once again you are not talking about domain registration transfer.

If not, Create a new CF account. As you add the domain to Cloudflare, update the NS records in the existing registrar.

How do you do this if you have two free Cloudflare accounts and you want to transfter the domain between them? It says you need to have a paid account to change the name servers and this step is required to change the old Cloudflare servers to the new ones.

@mikeysouthwell

Its not a straightaway process to switch between two CF accounts. If you think that way, that’s not possible. You may have to remove instead of moving.
Remove from the Old. By this, default NS records be active on the domain. When new CF account created, add the domain, update the NS records in the host.

Thanks NeilJay. If I remove the site from Cloudflare do I lose all the DNS settings? How do I add it the new account if I don’t have an account to change the Name Servers?

I figured out what I needed to do.

I had to change the Name Servers from the GoDaddy account that owns the domain (the registrar). Then the transfer process completed between the two Cloudflare accounts.

It also looks like domain transfers are now available within Cloudflare so I should be able to transfer the domain registration away from GoDaddy into the new Cloudflare account.

Thanks everyone for your help :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what the instructions I linked to said to do:

Not the registration. Just the move, as the article I linked to indicated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.