Unable to get mx info: failed to get IPs from PTR record

Greetings community, I have a challenging issue that seems to circle around DNS, the lookup of the MX IP address under the domain baylandtransport(dot)com

There are several returned (bounced) emails from multiple mail servers. The staff at (baylandtransport(dot)com) are sending out emails to various email addresses throughout the day.

Here is the info returned in the bounced email:

unable to get mx info: failed to get IPs from PTR record: lookup : unrecognized address

After doing research I have found to the following which points back to Cloudflare, the DNS for this domain is hosted on Cloudflare and has been for over 6 months. I understand how robust and reliable the Cloudflare network is, problems can occur and this is my attempt to reduce them.

The reason you will see error: unable to get mx info: failed to get IPs from PTR record: lookup : unrecognized address is that when attempting to deliver the message, the servers are not seeing that there is a valid MX record or A record that exists on the domain. (baylandtransport(dot)com)

The MX record will handle receiving incoming messages, however per RFC, if an MX record does not exist we will use the IP address, which would be located on the A record of the domain.

Terminal domain lookups

• $ dig +short TXT baylandtransport(dot)com
  • $ dig +short MX baylandtransport(dot)com

I have been using the following service to dig deeper

Thank you for your attention!

You probably need to fix the issues identified here first:

https://dnsviz.net/d/baylandtransport.com/dnssec/

Cloudflare don’t handle your email, there is nothing to do on the Cloudflare regarding reverse DNS PTR records, and in reality, that is very rarely an actually problem.

Michael, this was SUPER helpful. I was able to use this tool to spot the incorrect setting with the DNSSEC configuration within Cloudflare.

This tutorial was the missing link: How To Setup DNSSEC Using CloudFlare & Google Domains - CloudFlare DNSSEC Tutorial - DNSSEC Guide - YouTube

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.